help bad roofing job. opinions wanted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

I have had some work completed today on my roof from a trades man i found on my builder. They had good feedback generally and seemed well informed etc when discussing the job in hand however the quality of the workmanship (to my eyes ) is fairly shocking.

i was quoted £700 ( a mornings work for two lads) to:

- clean gutters front and rear
- reline and seal the joint between two sections of gutters above the front bay window
- re point ridge tiles
- re point roof verge
- repoint chimney

the builder is happy with his work and says it is acceptable - i disagree. could i have some opinions to the quality of this workmanship? I feel like i could have repointed it better myself with my eyes shut. It doesnt look as though its been raked out, and it looks very likely to fail and fall out again. and I have absolutely no faith in the gutter 'repair... '

p.jpeg

p.jpeg

p.jpeg

p.jpeg

p.jpeg

im not mad in thinking this is shoddy workmanship right?

ta

Sponsored Links
are you sure? i can see them..

i will try one by one - might be large

Sponsored Links
Yes, I can see it now.

Rough as ****.

Andy

thanks for quick reply. its one of those where its so obviously ****, but the guy is so earnestly defending it i wanted to check im not mad.

luckily no cash has changed hands

Have you paid him?
Did you get any other quotes and if so, how much?
Have you checked the guttering to confirm it is not leaking?

Andy

no havent paid yet but he is asking for payment tonight.

it was the first quote i got (i know , i know...)

I haven't been able to check the gutter to see if its working yet. Internally there was a big damp patch (hence getting it looked at) but that will take a while to dry out before i can assess the effectiveness of that repair.

and gutter repair aside - the additional pointing is worthless isnt it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back