Help Bathroom Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,

As a forum admin elsewhere, I'm concious of how irritating it can be answering the same questiosn time and again.

So apologies in advance as I know this is going to be very similar to questions already answered. However the downside of a site such as this is that there is SO much good information assesing it in relation to a specific instance can be difficult.

That said.

I am currently having my bathrooms refitted (main and onsuite back onto each other). the usual IP rated ceiling lights are fitted already. And the lightswitch is outside the rooms.

The only electrical items within the bathrooms will be a shaver socket in each.

My plumber is using plastic pipes internally that connect to copper in the roof space (I live in a bungalow so access to these is simple)

Hence my question is do I need to have the taps and shower valve supplementary bonded? And if so how thick a cable should be used?

A friend of mine who's a plumber (not him doing the install) says not to worry about it. But I'm not sure.

Additionally while wandering the site in search of an answer I read that an immersion heater shoudl be fed from a 16Amp feed direct from the consumer unit. Is this correct? When my heating system was replaced a year or so back the plumber just tapped all of the plumbing electrics (immersion, controls e.t.c) off a handy ring circuit. Is tihs a problem?

thanks for your time.

Mark.

Sponsored Links
its not best practice to put immersion heaters on a socket cuircuit but provided there aren't any other heavy loads upstairs i can't see it being a huge issue.

Sponsored Links
As a rule of thumb, if the pipes do not form a copper connection from the taps to the outside world, but are isolated by a total of meter or more of plastic from external sources of either earth or live, then no need to bond. If you do need to bond, 'cos the plastic lengths are too short, then it sounds like you can do it to the pipes as they surface in the loft... minimum hassle.
If so then earth core of both lighting and shaver circuits (so two green wires if they are on separate circuits) to be extended connected to all copper pipes feeding taps etc that might be touched in the bathroom that are not just short isolated lengths.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back