Help Biasi Riva Compact he with unfixable fault! apparently!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone has had a fault with the boiler which indicates no gas, middle light on with ones either side flashing. the boiler tries to ignite fan and pump running you can see the spark but boiler doesn't light, it tries a couple of times and then locks out, a new gas valve and flue temp sensor have been fitted but still the same fault!!!
No gas seems to be getting to the burner as the engineer put a lighter through the little window as it was trying to light and nothing!
is there anything else that can be stopping the gas valve letting the gas through???
Please help i cant spend much more in this boiler!!
Cheers Timmy

Sponsored Links
The first time I had a fault with a Biasi it was the small balance tube near the fan had a bit of condensation in it and the boiler went through the motions but would not fire up.

I dont think you will get much help from the gas men on this or any other forum as they don't rate the Biasi, it's beneath them, I've just got shot of an X rated Biasi that was 12yrs old, apart from the balance pipe getting blocked, twice I replaced the diaphram and I also fitted a new timer that broke, total cost, boiler £550 in 2000, parts £120 ish, I also find the people at Biasi quite helpful when I've phoned.

I replaced it with a Riva 32, £600 from B&Q last year..

I dont think you will get much help from the gas men on this or any other forum as they don't rate the Biasi, it's beneath them,

I've just got shot of an X rated Biasi that was 12yrs old, apart from the balance pipe getting blocked, twice I replaced the diaphram and I also fitted a new timer that broke, total cost, boiler £550 in 2000, parts £120 ish, I also find the people at Biasi quite helpful when I've phoned.

That is total nonsence! The Biasi are reasonomically prices and some of the most reliable boilers on the market.

I repair many of them and have never failed or needed to replace any.

The only reason we may not give information on repairing them is because we dont give information gas/combustion issues to DIYers for obvious safety reasons.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Is there anything else that can be stopping the gas valve letting the gas through???

Please help i cant spend much more in this boiler!!

Cheers Timmy

You should not have spent anything at all on your boiler yet!

If you called an engineer to diagnose the fault and he changed a gas valve which was not required then you should not have needed to pay for that. He is obviously incompetent ! And if he charged you for his incompetence then he is fraudulent too!

All you need is a competent engineer!!!

In fact the way you are going about it, it would almost have been worth your while to call me to come down on the train!

Tony

Agile, I'm with you on this, I've installed a few Biasi's in my own properties that have not been let out to Joe Public and I've had no problem with them whatsoever, however, you mention that name to a lot of gas safe bods and they spit in the dust, my muminlaw had a Valiant fitted by a then corgi man and within two years had a lot of grief with it incuring lots of bills.

But I can also understand you not wanting to give any info out as it could be a right plonker receiving it, some people do not know their limitations :confused:

I was talked into switching from WB 24cdi's to Biasi boilers by a smooth talking salesman in about 1999 and never had a problem with them especially at £380 a boiler as they were then.

Its not my decision not to give info on gas related faults but its in the forum rules which we all adhere to. Although I totally support that rule.

There are many very competent DIYers whose professional work is on planes, medical electronics etc. but the forum is also read by many who would be highly dangerous working on DIY gas.

I went to one landlord's Biasi 24S which was about six years old and the PCB had failed. But that was the first out of his 23 boilers of the same model to ever have a fault. The difference is that he paid installers by the hour to power flush the system so that they were all 100% clean before the boilers were fitted.

Tony

Just had my boiler engineer out for much the same problem because we had a slight leak on the pump in the last week. We were topping the system up twice a day to make sure it didn't run out of water unfortunately it did and this problem, that you have, occurred. The pump has seized as it turns out due to lack of water and we have all the same diagnostic lights that you have plus the issue of the boiler burning but then going off after seconds. Apparently the pumps on Biasi boiler are a little unreliable and do this from time to time and Biasi know that it is an issue. Worth checking the pump

Sportyrich.

Its not the boiler maker's responsibility to keep your system pressure topped up! Its yours.

Any pump will seize up if there is no water in the system!

Do the makers of your expensive sports car come round every week to check your radiator water level? Or do they leave it to you?

@agile Not quite sure what i said to receive such an arsey reply but i apologise for posting a suggestion to a poster. My point about the Biasi pump problem is that there are problems with the pump and Biasi know this. In my case it was a faulty gasket that caused it to run dry. so to use your comparison I would expect the makers of my expensive sports car to put a working radiator in it so it doesn't need topping up. Make sense? Once again sorry for trying to give help to someone on a HELP forum

Pumps seeming to leak at the gasket are in fact leaking as a result of bearing wear due to dirty system water. I probably see about 12 of them every year.

I have never needed to change any pump gaskets and never heard of any problem with them "known to Biasi" either.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back