Help, boiler fuse keep blowing after fitting a new pump.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Boiler Made is Potterton Puma 100,combi, about 14 years old. My original problem was just the central heating not stable which took about 10 mins to 2 hours to heat up the radiator. Hot water was fine. And it seems using hot water frequently will help the central heating heat up quicker. Then I got Eon to diagnose the problem and was told that pump wasn't circulated properly and need replaced. As I have insurance cover from Halifax, so I then paid extra £100 something to the insurance company to do the job by fitting a new pump and diverter valve. After both parts fitted in, everything seemed to be fine until the engineer close the boiler out case. The boiler went dead. Fuse blown. The engineer tried 4 fuses all got blown in few mins operating. He told me it's PCB faulty and need replacing. Now they cannot find the parts and want me to buy the parts. But I really doubt it's from PCB. Would it be from pump, fan or any wiring problem that cause the fuse blowing. would the incorrect pump fitted that cause the problem? BTW, there is no water leak on PCB.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Sponsored Links
How long ago was the pump and DV fitted? if only a month or less
the company who did the work should come back to identify the cause (usually under a workmanship warranty) as to the cause.......no sorry can't see your boiler from here! ;)

How long ago was the pump and DV fitted? if only a month or less
the company who did the work should come back to identify the cause (usually under a workmanship warranty) as to the cause.......no sorry can't see your boiler from here! ;)

Thanks for replying. the new pump and DV was fitted 2 days ago. And right after the enginner fitted the parts, the fuse blown before he left. He put in 4 fuses but all blown between 2 mins to 10 mins. And he checks PCB, there is no water on it. And then I was told that PCB is faulty. That sounds harsh for me. As there isn't any problem for the fuse before until he fitted in the pump and DV. Now they are not willing to come back to recheck. And they cannot find PCB in their source. And asked me to purchase a PCB and they will fit it for me. But if the problem isn't from PCB, buying a new PCB is waste of money.

Get on the phone and tell them they have 24hrs to get it sorted at their expense or you will call in someone that actually knows what they are doing and they will have to pay for it bloody cowboys

Sponsored Links
Is the new pump a grundfos? Some of these pumps have been having problems if fitted with out a suppressor lead.

I dont think a grundfoss will fit a puma (could be wrong, someone will, I dare say, correct me if I am)

thanks all. just found a instruction manual for the new pump that engineer left after fitting. It is in CirculatingPumps brand. Compact Domestic Circulator Pump on the headline. But there are different products under the manual which is CP23, PC 43, CP53, CP63, CP73, CP63E. Don't know which one has been fitted.

I have got Eon membership too but their quickest appointment will be on Sunday afternoon before they can come to diagnose the problem and probably another 3-4 days to get parts and fix it.

Should I just call a plumber first thing tomorrow morning to come and check?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back