Help! British Gas WPT1 programmer not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
As off a couple of hours ago, our WPT1 central heating programmer has stopped working. It has constantly message "Welcome - Reconnecting..." but does not connect.
We're not customers with British Gas.
We don't seem to have a way to turn heating on without this programmer.
The hot water though is working.
It's very cold today in the house with no heating...
Any idea how to
1. reset that programmer to work
2. or replace it
3. AND starting heating manually
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
From memory, I think the WPT1 is a battery operated programmable thermostat and it communicates with a remote BR2 receiver. If so they will be similar to the picture below....

Capture.JPG

....pressing the button on the bottom right corner of the receiver should start the heating and the light above the button will be lit.

A bit obvious I know, but have the batteries in the thermostat been replaced recently?

Your thermostat might look a bit different, some have a bigger display and 3 buttons below the dial, but I think the receiver for both types is the same.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
From memory, I think the WPT1 is a battery operated programmable thermostat and it communicates with a remote BR2 receiver. If so they will be similar to the picture below....

View attachment 258714

....pressing the button on the bottom right corner of the receiver should start the heating and the light above the button will be lit.

A bit obvious I know, but have the batteries in the thermostat been replaced recently?

Your thermostat might look a bit different, some have a bigger display and 3 buttons below the dial, but I think the receiver for both types is the same.

Thanks for replying
It actually looks different to the one you sent pictures of.
Ii is one on this link https://www.amazon.co.uk/BRITISH-WIRELESS-PROGRAMMABLE-THERMOSTAT-WPT1/dp/B077517N61
No longer manufactured, British Goas told me they don't support it again.
Batteries have been changed, factory reset done, and still on getting the 'Welcome Reconnecting...' message but nothing reconnecting...
Can't event get to start the heating because there's no connection with the boiler...
And no way apparently to force the boiler to work for heating unless there's a programmer.

Last edited:
I did say...
Your thermostat might look a bit different, some have a bigger display and 3 buttons below the dial.

Capture.JPG

So the picture you posted that fits my description doesn't it :)

Can't event get to start the heating because there's no connection with the boiler....

That is correct, there is a receiver that is wired to the boiler and the thermostat tells it what to do wirelessly. The receiver photo you posted in your link [copied below]....
81lBmE274-L._AC_SS130_.jpg

....that you say is the same as yours, is also the same as the photo I posted earlier, where I also told you what to do to overide it and switch the heating on.

Pressing the button on the bottom right corner of the receiver should start the heating and the light above the button will be lit.

Sponsored Links
I did say...

View attachment 258783

So that fits my description doesn't it :)

That is correct, there is a receiver that is wired to the boiler and the thermostat tells it what to do wirelessly. The receiver photo you posted in your link [copied below]....
View attachment 258786
....that you say is the same as yours, is also the same as the photo I posted earlier, where I also told you what to do to overide it and switch the heating on.
It is a BG hive version 1

Thanks everyone! The issue was with the receiver in the boiler which needed resetting..... And the reset was to switch off the mains then switch them back on. In this instance anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back