British Gas 330+ f22

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, novice here hoping for a simple fix before calling in the experts.

We have a British Gas 330+. We have a conventional system with cylinder and tank. For the past couple of months we have been getting f22 (dry) codes and the heating/water doesn't turn on. I can rectify this issue manually, typically turning the boiler/programmer (BG LP241) off and on again.

It's just very annoying that when it's left to the programmer to turn to boiler on, it often doesn't, meaning waking to a cold house.

I have witnessed what to happen when the f22 appeared. The heating/water clicks on, there is a big sound like a motor powering up and trying to get to speed and huge amount of air trying to be sucked in and then, it doesn't seem to turn on fully, no spark, so gives up.

Is it connected to the programmer? Is it normal for it to say it's 'dry' with a cylinder/tank system?

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If it’s a dry fire fault, then it’s a possibility of a pump failure or the cold water tank in the loft (f&e /header tank) is dry.

Thanks for the reply, Chris. When you say it could be the water tank, are you saying that that could be empty causing the fault? I can check that but I don't think that is the case.

It's odd that just turning the electrics to the boiler off and on again normally fixes it. Perhaps the pump is what I need to to get checked.

Check the easiest things first, visual check of the small Feed and Expansion cistern in the loft will ascertain if there's water there, also possibly prudent to drain a little off somewhere and check the cistern refills. Ballcock can stick shut, and/or cold feed pipework block, allowing system to run short on water. If these all prove ok, then might be time to start looking at the pump etc.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Yes could be the tank, but likely the pump.

It's a problem that's been happening on and off for a couple of months. It hadn't happened for a while but tonight when i went to do the kids bath...no hot water, checked boiler, f22. Cheers though, i'll check the bits you suggested tomorrow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back