Help. Builder has sanded face of bricks on front of house

Is it a semi/terraced house? If so, what's the line between yours and adjacent properties like? post a photo of that too

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the replies.

More photos coming soon. House is a terrace, so have asked the lady to take some showing more of the front, and showing the adjoining parts to the neighbours.

Assume that means it's a Rental?

Hope it's not in a conservation area and you have PD rights to change the outside appearance? Could get even more difficult otherwise!

No, we are renovating to move in so not actually living there yet - both sides are rental houses though. (the lady is wifey')

One side shares a joint porch wall which protrudes, and this has been rebuilt (with agreement from both sides) as the bricks had basically perished due to leaking gutter water down the wall (our house was neglated for up to 15 years)

We are not in a conservation area, so no issues there thankfully. Yes, we would have PD right to render if required, although we don't really like that, so look likes the rebuild option would be priority.

Sponsored Links
New photo's attached.

On the left hand side, there is no damaged brickwork touching the neighbour.

On the right side, they have just gone up to the paint line.

They have removed some bricks from the wall on the right hand side to see condition on other side of brick. This area was in poor condition anyway as leaking drainpipe had worn away at the bricks.

The builder is happy to rebuild the wall with matching reclaimed brick (difficult now I don't have any of the original!) but of course I want to ensure this is the best way to go and how to make sure it is done properly
View media item 70018 View media item 70019 View media item 70020 View media item 70017

the fact that the builder says he is happy to re-build it is alarming....

His willingness implies he is unaware of how difficult and time consuming that will be??

A good question. I do not understand the process to replace the bricks. The wall is obviously two bricks thick, so I don't know the speed with which the front bricks are removed and replaced.

From your comments, its sounds like you would take down the whole wall and start again. How exactly would this done?

As I think you can see from the photo's, the bricks do not cover the whole front, apart from the strips down the bays, it is the right hand side and between the bays.

What would the likely process and distruption be?

I would say there is far too much detail to allow the person who did that to even think about rebuilding! He simply isn't capable.

Just trawling thru here and I came across your problem. Is it not possible to have it all repointed and then find some good breathable paint that you could have it all painted with? If it was well pointed and the mortar was kept away from the front edge of the brick face it might look ok when it was painted. Just a thought, ;) Looking at the photos I think you may get away with the pointing and painting....

Those photos are shocking. You need to contact his insurance company before he does any more damage!

Does he speak with an accent? Was he cheap? When will people learn?

it looks like the house is one brick thick so rebuilding is not an option , I would repoint and seal and sell !!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back