Help. Builder has sanded face of bricks on front of house

Thanks for the helpful posts. I actually walked around the street and neighbouring streets and there are some with an external render and painted which actually look quite nice so this is definitely an option.

With regards to just repointing and repainting, is there a risk around damp as the outer glazed part of the brick has been removed. I assume the paint (lime wash or equivalent isn't waterproof. (And you wouldn't want to use a non breathable masonry paint.)

The wall is definitely 2bricks thick. If the bricks were replaced, would it be a case of cutting out the front bricks one brick at a time and replacing over a period of time, or a more all in one go, take down and rebuild?

Sponsored Links
2 bricks thick equals 18 inches are your wall this thick ?
I'm sure he means 9" thick. Before I worked in this industry I would have called a 4" wall in stretcher bond 1 brick thick, and a 9" wall 2 bricks thick.
The terminology isn't transparent to a novice.

agreed ronny its 9 inches thick (1 brick ) that is why taking down is not an option

Sponsored Links
I agree. Rebuilding, while not impossible would be very difficult, especially considering it's a fairly detailed front elevation. Wouldn't be cheap either.

I don't think the OP realises that it's not just a case of rebuilding the outer skin of the wall as the Flemish bond construction wouldn't allow it. It would literally mean taking down and rebuilding the entire front elevation.

And as others have said, I wouldn't let the original builder loose on a rebuild. I'm not sure the original builder realises the complexity and cost of rebuilding.

I wonder what happened in the end with this one.....

It's always a shame when we don't get an update.....

Just realised this is an old post , was going to ask if they meant the builder had ' sandblasted ' the bwk .

Yeh, I kind of bumped it in the hopes we get a "what happened next".

I just happened to come across it again in my post history. I remember thinking was a ghastly job they had done.

I hope it is nicely rendered now or something, as it seemed like the only remedy....

This is old but my 2cents

This is actually very common in house restoration .. many contractors do this.. and then will do some sort of tuck pointing where they need to match the mortar colour with the brick face …

The idea to sand the brick brings out the best colour.. now the question is will the bricks be as strong ? That’s debatable depending on how back and deep it was sanded

There’s been a rise of tuck pointing videos on YouTube in the last two years and they are all sanding… lots of houses in my street have had this done and look very smart

Before anyone else comments on this - it is a 10 year old thread.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back