face bricks below dpc

Hi thankyou all for your reply's.
The majority of facing bricks below the ground are on the party side wall. Its a long run of bricks, and around 6 courses high. Everything below extenal ground level is concrete blocks and engineering bricks.

Its been on my mind all day yesterday, and am quite dissapointed. Say if i wanted to change them to engineering brick or even concrete blocks without taking down the wall, would this be a difficult job.

I could potentially do this my self at some stage, but would it be safe.

What are your thoughts...

Sponsored Links
If you want to change the bricks, don't even think about leaving the wall up. It'd be far easier, quicker and a better job to take it down and start again.
But my advise: stop worrying, and forget about it :)

A couple of guys have suggested its a grave mistake, compounding my worrying. I wish to be building off this in a few years to make it a double storey and am quite worried whether or not i'd be ok.

I'm not a trained builder and have very little technical knowlegde of the building trade. I only know what ive been told or have read.

The wall being around 20 course high and around 18 meters in length i would be very very reluctant to knock it down unless i really had to.

Someone replied earlier that it'll be ok unless i plan on staying there for more than 20 years. Ideally i'd want the extension to last a longer than that. is that really the case?

sorry to sound so dumb i'm just a little worried

Sponsored Links
The worst that happens is in a decade or two the face of the bricks start crumbling and require replacement. So keep a few spare in the garage and get on with the build. It ain't gonna fall down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back