Help calculating if my patio doors are too big for the room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Can someone help me calculate whether or not my patio door will be too big for a room - as per building reg L1 maximum glazed area must not exceed 25% of floor area.

Room width - 4650 mm
Room depth - 2600mm (this is measured into the window sill)

Size of glazed unit 3016mm

Please Help

Sponsored Links
add up the area of glazing that the extension will cover up , ie old windows and doors that previously led to the outside air.

Now add your 25% of the proposed additional floor area , the combination of the 2 totals is the amount of glazing you can have in your extension.

If that struggles , then work out the floor area of the entire house , and assuming the existing house is double glazed , then you can have a total of 25% of the entire house area as glazing throughout the property.

Thanks, but this is existing space, not a new extension, so not sure if I can take into account the window and door that this new larger patio door will be replacing?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back