HELP ........... can i do this work legally

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have just found a job that starts in jan working at a school which includes maintaining electrics and maybe adding spurs and the odd light...
can i legally do this.... i have passed level 3 2330 course and have the 17th edition update but got made redundant from my last job before i could finish my nvq 3 and am2. i am not registered with nic .. please can someone help

Sponsored Links
You don't have to be registered with nic as Part P only applies to domestic work. Of course your work still comes under 17th regs.
So from what you say you'll more than likely only need to issue a MWC.

thanks for the info.. can i legally sign off a mwc with the qualifications i have because there was always confusion at my college also with the maintenance and fault finding is that ok aswell

I agree it is very confusing, not exactly black and white. But AFAIK it's not so much whether you're qualified but whether you're competent. So, you could be qualified but not competent. Alternatively, you could be competent but not qualified. Clear?

Sponsored Links
Although part p doesn't apply, the EAWR, HASWA etc all do apply. The electricity at work regulations require "Persons to be competent to avoid danger or injury". You have C&G2330 which should go a good way to proving competency. Are you familiar with this type of installation? Do you have calibrated test equipment, public liability insurance etc?
Basically - anyone can sign off work to BS7671. In itself BS7671 isn't a legal requirement however it can be used in court to aid in proving compliance with a statutory regulation. To make a false claim on a certificate may land you in deep water though!
Not sure on what you have been taught but to do any work to the IEE regs requires certification which should really have been taught to you since day 1.

Once you take on board the distinction between Building Regulations and Wiring Regulations, it is black and white - firstly the latter is not a law, and secondly just read the black writing on the white pages of it and you won't find any requirements for particular qualifications required to be able to sign certificates....

thanks for all your comments .. i do not have my own test kit but have been told that the scholl are willing to pay for a set ( which is very generous) but i dont have any public liability insurance and how do i go about getting it and what is the rough cost

I would have thought that if you become an employee of the school, that insurance becomes their problem. It depends on the relationship with them.

Can I ask, are you joining a team of electricians or will you be working solo?

I have worked in schools for years, be prepared for your employer to have no appreciation or understanding of the work you do!

After all, schools are managed ad run by teachers (those who can't) who generally do another role i.e. Site Manager to supplement their wage.

The rules on this have changed, but in practice it still goes on.

There used to be a "pit trained" sparky where I work, he was widely regarded as good electrician, I knew otherwise.

When I enquired about his qualifications I think he'd done the 14th edition or something and the local council had said it was fine for him to work in the school.

i will be working as part of the premises dept ( maintenance man basically) and will be the only person with an electrical background so i will be doing small jobs mainly the electrical maintenance with the odd spur or extra light..... nothing big coz my job involves alot of other things

i will be working as part of the premises dept ( maintenance man basically) and will be the only person with an electrical background so i will be doing small jobs mainly the electrical maintenance with the odd spur or extra light..... nothing big coz my job involves alot of other things

Yes, the "pit trained" guy, did exactly that.

He started out as a handyman but when someone found out he had an electrical background they had him doing all sorts (for no extra pay)

so legally am i ok to do this work and the fault finding and rectification side aswell ....

If you read the Wiring Regulations you won't find any mention of particular qualifications being required to be allowed to carry out any of the work covered by them.

The thing to do would be to check with the school what insurance cover they have, you need to make sure it covers you for public liability doing electrical work, and also make sure their employers liability is up to scratch. If it's a state school then it will probably be fine as it's most likely a blanket thing with the local council, but definitely worth checking...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back