Can i change 45 amp cooker socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Just started new job fitting gas and electric kitchen appliances normally very straight forward.However job today cooker socket floating in a cupboard short incoming cable so unable to move and fix to wall/cupboard.
In tool box we have spare cooker switch,junction boxes etc.I have 17th edition and 2330 but no part p or any registration with napit etc.
Can i move and replace switches or is this not legal ,if not legal what would i need?May have questions to answer if i keep backhealing jobs.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What does your manager or supervisor say you should do?

This is hardly a DIY question!

Non notifiable will allow you to replace the outlet plates, isolation switch etc.. as a straight forward swap.
Your problem is that you will be installing new cable and that comes under notifiable work and should be applied for with building controls.
Please note: every electrical job you do in a domestic environment, will need to comply to part p, but not necessarily needs to be notified.
And if you have C&G 2330 and 17th eds, how come you don't know this?

if not legal what would i need?May have questions to answer if i keep backhealing jobs.
If you have 2330 levels 2 and 3 plus 17th editions and your company is not in a position to sign it's own work off. You personally can register for define scope, this will allow you to do the electrical work that is part of your trade as gas engineer/kitchen fitter.
There are a few domestic scheme providers and they vary in what they require you to have to qualify as a member and also fees will vary between each provider.
I would look here if you are interested:
http://www.communities.gov.uk/planningandbuilding/buildingregulations/competentpersonsschemes/
and here
http://www.competentperson.co.uk/existing-competent-person-schemes.aspx

Sponsored Links
Thanks prentice for the replys,Company(newish) has 30 ish guy dotted about mainly just gas engineers no electrical expierience.
I just thought it strange expecting us to change cooker sockets etc but if like for like thats ok?.

Secure lets have a shot in the dark what do you think the gaffers going to say(not asked)

A yes your right dont touch anymore electrics we will pay lots of money out for courses etc.

or B yes you will be fine get on with it :rolleyes:

You don't have cable available, so how can you get on with it?

I just thought it strange expecting us to change cooker sockets etc but if like for like thats ok?.
Oh dear! Cardinal sin, must not mention "like for like" :eek:
It is frowned upon by some and you may get bum spanked!
If your new company goes around selling it's services and part of that service involves electrical equipment installation, alterations, upgrades and replacements to installation.
Which will quite often happen when fitting electrical kitchen appliances, especially hobs, ovens and cookers as they not all rated the same and cable sizing and protective device ratings will need to be calculated.
I suggest they get someone on board that knows their stuff and can inspect, test and self cert!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back