Location of control unit and power sockets on cooker radial

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a query as to whether the current wiring on my cooker (not done by me) is legal/up to standard. The first query is that the control unit for the cooker is located within one of the kitchen cupboards, is the ok/legal? My second question relates to how much stuff is connected to the cooker radial circuit, there is a 13A socket on the control which the extractor is plugged into, from here the circuit runs down to near the cooker where there are 3 13a sockets connected to it, the hob is plugged into one, the oven into the other and there is a 3rd plug which then runs to a pair of 13a sockets above the counter. Is this all legal as I would imagine it isn’t advisable.

My current plan to correct this all is to:
- Replace the control unit with a modern one (without a socket) and move it down the wall so that it isn’t located within a cupboard
- Run a fused & switched spur from the plugs ring to the extractor
- Make the pair of sockets currently connected to the cooker radial part of the normal plugs ring
- Connect the cooker up using a suitable outlet box

Any thoughts / recommendations would be welcome

Rory

Sponsored Links
What you propose to do will certainly make it more conventional. What you have is not a standard circuit, as you describe it at the moment - it may not be immediately dangerous, but unless the hob is low wattage to plug it in is most unusual.

Before you start, what rating are the cables behind all this - 2.5mm/6mm 10mm and what is the main breaker rating for the cooker radial. (oh and electrical work in kitchens is notifiable under part P, but I assume you know this and are not phased by it.) You may need to fatten things up if the circuit is a 40A radial.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back