Cooker switch essential

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
another day, another query...

Obviously Cooker control units are the norm, but is a 2.7kw cooker running from a 32A radial with cooker plugged into a double socket compliant?

I've checked the regs but can't find anything that rules it out. Reg 476-03-04 says means of isolation must be accessible, but is regarding fixed appliances and not ones connected via plug and socket. 537-05-04 merely says that a plug and socket can be used as a switching device.

The double socket is in the lower cupboard to the left of the cooker so is hardly accessible (and in fact I think its an unswitched socket at that).

Its on a 32A breaker and run in 4mm cable, the socket is also running the ignition for the gas hob above.

I would not have run it this way, but is it actually non-compliant or just not best practise

discuss.....

Sorry no picture for this one :LOL:

Gavin

Sponsored Links
pcboffinuk said:
another day, another query...

Obviously Cooker control units are the norm, but is a 2.7kw cooker running from a 32A radial with cooker plugged into a double socket compliant?

Gavin

Not for a 2.7Kw oven, I would think a 13amp socket was.

This sounds like a single oven on a dual-fuel cooker <3kW supplied from a socket.

These are OK to run on a 13A fused plug, as in your case. My objection would not be to the use of the plug and socket for the load, but to the switch being out of sight so not suitable for emergency switching e.g. in the event of a fat fire in the oven.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back