looking for part time work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all back again looking for part time work in manchester and surrounding area.

I have my 17th ed and 2330 level 2 starting level 3 next year.

Really need domestic and industrial possibly agricultural if I can for the portfolio NVQ 3.

I'm 31 years and willing to work for free!! I have city and guilds in plastering/ rendering and nvq Level 3 in mechanical and electrical engineering white goods

Willing to do pretty much anything have own transport as well.

Sponsored Links
hello pal not being in the trade my self, i was speaking to my gas engineer the other day about appretices an he said "no way why would i want to train someone up in my local area who will be in 5 years direct competition for the work" an i said good point!! this work for "free" thing do you know british gas want £16000.00 pound to take on an apprentice up front! so maybe if you offer a true tradesman say 10k for his training you might get a few replies.

alex

Very good point i can see where he is coming from with that i work for british gas so i know that to be true. they do req funding and now they dont get government funding for trainees they want to make sure they stat after they have been trained.

If i get on with a good guy and he paid ok and treated me ok i would stay at his firm or just with him if its a small firm.

I have no intension of working for myself in direct competition with anyone! just want to do a job worth while and one i will actualy enjoy for a change.

Sponsored Links
not looking to leave them if i don't have too just want the qualification so i might be able to move up in the company i work for

cm:

What about asking your managers if you can make the change to electrician officially?

They may be willing to pay (or help to pay) for training.

dont think thats an option really they dont really let you move once they have trained you in a job.
They are not doing rewires anymore and they dont do industrial or comercial either just maintenace and repair insurance oh and breakdown

tbh I wouldn't give you any work, even for free. Every time I hear those bloody BG ads on the radio when I 'm working I want to smash it up. Purring on about 'homecare' ("just 10p a year . . ." ), then we have to listen to clients' moaning that BG had their pants down for a new boiler/burst pipe/their problem wasn't covered under homecare etc. etc. They're a bunch of money-grabbing corporate scum if you ask me. I think you've got a cheek coming here looking for help from us independents while you're working for the enemy.

My own father got skinned by them for a new boiler (piece of BAXI crap they sold him) which has broken down several times since, they just send round 'parts replacement engineers' (they got it working at the SIXTH attempt, new PCB on a 1yr old boiler :mad: )

"If you call before 1pm we will do our best to come our the same day, to START(!) fixing it (except when we're busy, or we can't make it, or you're not on our 'cash cow' list . . .)"

Centrica (BG owners) made an operating profit of 1.9 BILLION last year. Says it all really.

wow not sure all that was called for...
I dont make those profits and i dont make those promises.
I repair washing machines and white goods i do have to go to old ladys who have been ripped off by independent people with dodgy repairs to electrics and appliances... so remember there are 2 sides to a coin.

As for working for free if thats what i have to do to get my qualification and provide a a comfortable life for my wife and baby then i make NO appolagies

Just remember guys its a long way down from that high horse but i still wish you all luck even if you cant help me

thanks for the comments xx

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back