2330 course

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
could anyone help me with a few qustions about the 2330.
im doing the level 2 course now just got practical exams now but looking to start the 2330 level 3 course.
i dont think i can do the nvq level 3 so is there any point in doing the 2330 level 3 course at all or should i just do the 2391 insp and test.
i have already done the 17th ed but i dont want to leave where i work at the min because im on ok money and cant afford a pay drop to work on site to complete my portfolio...
i would love to work for someone part time even for free but it seems i cant give myself away at the min lol.
any one in or has been ib the same situation or can help me out would be great.

cheers

craig

Sponsored Links
Do the level 3 course, it will help you gain knowledge and experience of Inspection and Testing, fault finding and diagnosing faults.
Which in turn will help towards the next step of taking on your 2391, which I would suggest being employed in the industria by then will be a great benefit.

I agree. Do level 3.

2391 is quite an involved qualification. IMO you will need some time practical experience "on the tools" - including testing and inspection experience - to be able to make sense of, and pass 2391.

You have to do 2330 level3, it will give you almost everything for 2391. Don't try and short cut things, it comes back at you later!!

Sponsored Links
If you can do the 2330 part time and carry on doing your non-electrical job then that is your best choice. Where do you want to work?

A contracting firm, domestic, a factory? A long term goal of being self employed?

It will help you shape your path to becoming the elite of the construction industry if you have an idea of where you want to be. :D

**runs away incase any joiners, builders or plumbers are reading :D

You have to do 2330 level3, it will give you almost everything for 2391. Don't try and short cut things, it comes back at you later!!

I agree, having done level 3 and then 2391, the knowledge and practical experience picked up with 2330 will better prepare you for 2391. Level 3 introduces you to written, albeit open book, examinations rather than only tick box answers - the written exam in 2391 is closed book. 2391 involves both three phase and sub mains and some supplementary practical tests like specific insulation resistance and fault finding.

I agree, having done level 3 and then 2391, the knowledge and practical experience picked up with 2330 will better prepare you for 2391.

Sorry to butt in here, but I have a pertinent and informed view:

Of late, it has become common practice for newly-qualified and inexperienced electricians to immediately proceed to taking the 2391 course.
This is one of the reasons for the high failure rate. (Among the many other reasons are spectacularly inadequate literacy and numeracy and an industry-wide failure to understand the purpose and processes involved!)

This is not the fault of those newbies, rather a lack of understanding by employers and advisers to the industry.

A far more sensible approach is to get some experience under your belt then take the 2392 course. One of the reasons this qualification was introduced is precisely because of the unpreparedness of the majority of 2391 candidates and the unsuitability of that qualification for the many who try and fail.

Those who have passed the 2392 have a markedly better pass rate when they subsequently - with more experience - attempt the 2391.

Sorry to butt in here, but I have a pertinent and informed view:

Of late, it has become common practice for newly-qualified and inexperienced electricians to immediately proceed to taking the 2391 course.
This is one of the reasons for the high failure rate. (Among the many other reasons are spectacularly inadequate literacy and numeracy and an industry-wide failure to understand the purpose and processes involved!)

Not sure whether or not you have done 2330 but if you don't have the necessary literacy and more importantly numeracy skills then you will not pass this course.

This is not the fault of those newbies, rather a lack of understanding by employers and advisers to the industry.

A far more sensible approach is to get some experience under your belt then take the 2392 course. One of the reasons this qualification was introduced is precisely because of the unpreparedness of the majority of 2391 candidates and the unsuitability of that qualification for the many who try and fail. .

I agree that this course would be of value, but not to those that have completed 2330 level 3.

Those who have passed the 2392 have a markedly better pass rate when they subsequently - with more experience - attempt the 2391.

Not sure were your evidence is here. This course has been running for a couple of years now and yet the average pass rate for 2391 is still hovering around 40/50% according to C&G - who are quite rightly resisting the noise to make it easier.

Not sure whether or not you have done 2330 but if you don't have the necessary literacy and more importantly numeracy skills then you will not pass this course.
I didn't comment on the 2330 and its requirements, merely on the academic competence of the majority of the British population - at least that portion of said population that turns up at our door!

I agree that this course would be of value, but not to those that have completed 2330 level 3.
I beg to differ. As a perfect example just a few weeks ago I had two students who had just completed 2330 at different establishments. Their experiences were markedly different - one stating that the final year had included a great deal of testing, the other it very definitely hadn't. (And it showed.)

Not sure were your evidence is here. This course has been running for a couple of years now and yet the average pass rate for 2391 is still hovering around 40/50% according to C&G - who are quite rightly resisting the noise to make it easier.

Almost three years now. Nationally, those trying for 2391 are the same old chancers overall, so of course those figures haven't changed a great deal. This is partly because the industry doesn't know what it wants. Locally (that is; our students) those who have done the 2392 then gone out and put it into practice do far better on the 2391 because we don't have to spend most of the time clearing their heads of all the garbage they have acquired on site.

I didn't comment on the 2330 and its requirements,
But that is the subject matter ;)
merely on the academic competence of the majority of the British population - at least that portion of said population that turns up at our door!

Your door being ??? If it is a college then to make such a sweeping generalisation about the majority of the population and then in the same sentence backtrack to the portion that turns up at your door is hardly a credit to that establishment. How is the portion that turns up at your door linked to the majority? Are they a representative population sample? Numeracy requirements!!!! but not the statistical part then.

I beg to differ. As a perfect example just a few weeks ago I had two students who had just completed 2330 at different establishments. Their experiences were markedly different - one stating that the final year had included a great deal of testing, the other it very definitely hadn't. (And it showed.)

Had they taken 2330 Level 3?
And they had turned up to take - 2392?

Almost three years now. Nationally, those trying for 2391 are the same old chancers overall, so of course those figures haven't changed a great deal. This is partly because the industry doesn't know what it wants. Locally (that is; our students) those who have done the 2392 then gone out and put it into practice do far better on the 2391 because we don't have to spend most of the time clearing their heads of all the garbage they have acquired on site.

So, back to the maths, the old chancers are still trying and now we are locally and I assume nationally adding C&G 2392 students who do far better on 2391. But the pass rate isn't improving - Surely if they are doing better then the average must improve otherwise they are not doing better.
This is partly because the industry doesn't know what it wants.
Not sure what 'industry not knowing what it wants' has to do with the pass rate - they aren't sitting the exam - they aren't teaching the students to sit the exam - that must be down to lecturers.

Any learning experience good or bad adds to peoples knowledge. I fully agree with the fact that C&G 2392 was put in place because of the pass rate of 2391. It is however one avenue toward completing and passing a 2391 course - which lets face it - is a tough course - and rightly so.

Having experience of 2330 level 2 and 3 - 2392 (a level 2 course) and 2391 (a level 3 course ) It is still my view that the OP would be better of taking 2330 at level 3 as a better preparation for the 2391.

Blimey O'Riley. Handbags or what?
I didn't comment on the 2330 and its requirements,
But that is the subject matter ;)
Touché.

Your door being ??? If it is a college then to make such a sweeping generalisation about the majority of the population and then in the same sentence backtrack to the portion that turns up at your door is hardly a credit to that establishment.
We are a private training establishment. Our intake is probably slightly more accomplished than that of many colleges.

The 'average' intelligence of the population is embarrassingly low. I make no apology for this observation.
Given that 'electricians' are supposed to be a cut above the other trades academically, I'm happy in my former assertions.

So, back to the maths, the old chancers are still trying and now we are locally and I assume nationally adding C&G 2392 students who do far better on 2391. But the pass rate isn't improving - Surely if they are doing better then the average must improve otherwise they are not doing better.
Ah. So maybe I wasn't clear. Nationally, the same trend isn't happening because:
...the industry doesn't know what it wants.
Not sure what 'industry not knowing what it wants' has to do with the pass rate
Because firms send the wrong people, too early, to sit the 2391, usually because they mistakenly believe it is a natural progression.

Because we have possibly more experience of the 2391 than anywhere else in the country, having prepared students for every single exam since it was first launched and maintain way-above-average pass rates. Because we analyse our performance over and over again and spend far more time on our students than most training establishments do. Because we actually care and take the time to discuss with students whether this is the right course for them. Because we bend over backwards to deliver an exceptional training experience. Because we are not motivated by pure profit. For these reasons students come back to us again and again, travelling from all over the country (and even from abroad) knowing they won't be fobbed off with a sub-standard 'product' of the sort some local colleges dish out. We really do know what we're doing. (And we don't charge nearly enough!)

We find out what students actually want. Those not ready or not requiring the 2391 we steer towards the 2392 if practicable. And some of them later progress to 2391, having gained some hands-on, site experience, while many are happy to stick with the 2392 knowing they have the requisite qualification for what they actually spend their time doing - inspecting and testing their own installation work.
So our 2391 intake has improved its scores, while nationally, the less well-prepared continue to fail in their usual numbers.

Having experience of 2330 level 2 and 3 - 2392 (a level 2 course) and 2391 (a level 3 course ) It is still my view that the OP would be better of taking 2330 at level 3 as a better preparation for the 2391.
And in this instance you may (or may not) be right. You are entitled to your view.

But it is still the case that - whatever the industry at large believes - the 2391 course is not the next step for the majority of electricians. It was devised for what used to be called the 'Qualifying Managers' of NICEIC Approved Contractors, back when that was supposed to mean something, a status to which relatively few ordinary electricians aspired. In the absence of any other specific inspection and testing qualification, it became the next 'must have' qualification, and a much-coveted one at that. But, for many, the career ladder was missing a rung, so a helping hand compromise was/is used by some colleges by milking students through the practicals. (Not all 2391 passes are equal!)

Now that missing rung - 2392 - is in place, but it will take a while before the message gets across... and no doubt by then City & Guilds will have changed all the numbers and rewritten the syllabus again!

Oh and one last problem for the OP. It might not be possible for him to take 2330 level 3 at all; because of the looming changes in the Qualifications and Credit Framework. He should speak to his college to check whether they are able to offer the course.

wow not sure what i started there lol.

I want to do the full course and the NVQ 3 to be a qualified spark and be able to do indst aswell as domestic its just the NVQ part I'm struggling to do..

I work for british gas as a white goods eng and I also do domestic breakdown on wiring systems but only on domestic so I cant complete the portfolio for the NVQ if anyone has been in the same situation with advice that would be great.

not sure what direction I want to go in at the min but if I cant do nvq it will have to be domestic... and the 2392 sound like the right choice for that just seems a shame to do all those years and be held back because I cant get work on site to complete the NVQ portfolio and i would have to take a large pay cut to do it..

I respect that it is a very complex trade and you have to prove that you work safely for yourself and others but with the course getting harder to complete as an adult and wages dropping all over who will carry on in the trade for years to come when its easy, SAFER , and pays well to be a office bod.

Anyway thats my rant and sermon over..looks like its house bashing and 2392 and a wasted 3 years for me

Hi all.

Just been reading this post and I might have some information that might be of use? I am currently doing my level 3 C&G2330 level 3 atm and we just got told the route's that we can take from were we are at the moment.

If you have your level 2 tech cert and you are employed within the industry (or job that has a suitable work placement), then to progress the individual will need to transfer to the new C&G 2357-13 NVQ level 3 diploma in installing electrotechnical systems and equipment (building structures and the enviroment) and also satisfactorily complete units 302, 303, 307, 308, 309, 311, 312, 313, 315, 316, 317, 318 together with unit 399 (the AM2 occupational competence unit).
This will also apply to me too if I fail this year? :rolleyes:

If you have your level 3 tech cert and you are employed within the industry (or job that has a suitable work placement), then to progress the individual will need to enrol upon the existing C&G2356-31 NVQ level 3 qualification with a college or training provider and be registered with the C&G before the 31st of march 2011. You then also need to do your AM2 test.
OR
If you have your level 3 tech cert and you are employed within the industry (or job that has a suitable work placement), then to progress the individual will need to transfer to the new C&G 2357-13 level 3 diploma in and satisfactorily complete units 302, 311, 312, 313, 315, 316, 317, 318 together with unit 399 (the AM2 occupational competence unit). NOTICE THIS WAY HAS THE AM2 INCLUDED.

I hope this helps but it does really depend on were you wanna progress in life really, you might loose that job next week (touch wood) and then you will have to look for another one.
To be registered (depending on group) this will be the minimum requirment that you will need BUT If you just want to do the work and not certificate then you can do so but you will need to call in an improved electricial to sign off your work and this can be expencive.

Please let me know if I have got anything wrong as the information would be good for me too,
Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back