Help - Cant Close Window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Wondering if anyone can help ?

Suddenly , we cant close our window , its hard to describe so i uploaded a video showing the problem , its only just started happening , and i cant see anywhere where the problem might be

The hinges look the same as always , as in not slipped or something , at least not to my untrained eye!

The top of the highest hinge each side seems to be hitting the top of the window frame , stopping the window slotting in as before ?

Any advice welcome as we dont have a lot of money spare

Thanks

https://vid.me/5wQq

Sponsored Links
Well you've focused along the top of the opener, how about a video along the bottom of the sash where the handle is, the clunk sounds like its hitting the frame along the bottom

Sponsored Links
Well you've focused along the top of the opener, how about a video along the bottom of the sash where the handle is, the clunk sounds like its hitting the frame along the bottom

Oh right , OK , see attached , the only resistance seems to be at the top , the window doesnt come near the bottom (anymore)

https://vid.me/TLqZ

Cheers

OK so its nowhere near closing so its not that, check the black sliding guides that move up and down inside the track as you close the window, make sure there's no obstruction near the top of there movement, also open the window and run your hand up the side of the hinges to make sure none of the screws have worked themselves out, a domed screw slightly out can foul the scissor action, also a poorly positioned screw above the black slide will stop it sliding right up too

Thanks Crank , its a mystery , no obstructions along the guide sections , no loose screws elsewhere , the only thing i think i`m sure of , is that the first point of resistance when slowly closing the window and looking and listening at the same time , is at the top there where the top edge of the hinge hits the top part of the frame!

https://vid.me/d9E9

Very strange!!!

As you close it the 2 pointy things locate into the black cups each side, I know they look nowhere near close enough to marry together but check there's nothing in the way, maybe the sash somehow has moved sideways although unlikely, maybe the point is fouling the side of the black cup/receiver?

the lock still lines up with its home as you look at it so the window is still in line , in that respect , the point of the hinge at the top goes the correct side of the black top static guide , but it touches the metal and will go no further , not without an almighty tug anyway and i1d rather not have to do that!

Is it hot where you are? If it is try it later this evening.

Also check for wear, open it right out and grab the top in each corner and give it a pull and push, it shouldn't flop about, slight play is OK, I'm assuming these are over 10 years old with them being externally glazed, new build maybe?

It doesnt flop about , pretty stable , i was surprised , its 24 or 25 today here so pretty warm , will try again later tonight
I dont know how old they are , it has ever so slightly failed in as much as we get some moisture in the bottom pane in winter , which was on my list of things to do before this happened as well , i would guess the window is about 10 years old maybe

The house was built in 77

I dont want to be beaten with it , as any local window guy will probably try to flog me a whole new window!

A window company certainly would yes but a one man band service engineer/double glazing doctor/plastic surgeon would diagnose that and have it repaired in a jiffy at minimal cost, probably a 50 quid job as opposed to 350/400 for a complete window

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back