Window regulations - help with ongoing installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I am in the middle of having all my windows repalced with uPVC units. It's been a complete shambles so far with the company making loads of mistakes but I am getting there slowly. One of the issues is the upstairs windows and seemingly strange mixture of hinges used.
Can someone please help?

In each room I have a flat window made up of 3 window panels. Each side window opens, the central one is fixed but with a top opener kind of like this one http://www.keywindows.co.uk/images/Towle4.jpg (note nothing at all to do with this company, just googled a pic).

In one room the windows have hinges that optionally slide across to make cleaning easier but can open from the corner. These are fitted with handles without locks. I assume these are easy clean fire hinges ?

The other rooms with identical windows are fitted with one window as above and one that allows easy cleaning but doesn't have as wide an opening. They all have lockable handles.

I'm assuming that these are 1 fire hinge and one easy clean hinge.

The window company have said that I am within legislation and that only one hinge is OK per room. They say that the room with 2 hinges was a mistake and I an getting 'more' for my money.

I am sceptical that this is correct but cant find a straight answer anywhere - can anyone help ?

As for all the other problems, I may be asking for additional help/guidance in another post :(

Sponsored Links
I'm not aware of a regulation that states that replacement windows a) need to be fitted with easy clean hinges as you put it and b) replacement windows need to allow escape (unless the window was installed as an escape window when the house was built?).
Unless you've specifically asked for these features I don't really see why you'd think you were entitled to them.

Hi, it wasn't a matter of 'a right to them', I am just confused by what I have been told and hoped for some clarification. I know there is no requirement for 'easyclean' ie ones that allow you to reach either side of the glass, it is the fire ones that I am concerned with. I was told by a number of the companies I saw that there was a requirement for a specific window type opener which they referred to as a 'fire hinge'. Allegedly this is part of the Fensa certification even in replacement windows.

What I am trying to establish is whether or not what I have received complies and if indeed there is some regulation.

A fire hinge allows a window to open fully 90degrees to allow escape in the event of a fire but as I said if there is no need for the window to be used as an escape there is no need to have fire hinges installed. If you require certain windows to be escape windows then these obviously need to have fire hinges. If certain rooms do need to have escape windows only one window leaf in the room would need a fire hinge. I've just double checked Part B of the building regs. By the way Fensa regs are merely extracts from the building regs they are not different.

Are you aware of any windows in your house that are required to be ecsape windows or not?

Sponsored Links
Hi, I am not aware of any of the windows in my house as being defined as fire exits, it is a bog standard 'modern' house. The windows that have just been replaced were single glazed wooden frame units with 'standard' hinges - nothing special at all.

The only reason I am asking as because every company I saw prior to commiting to this one spoke of the need for fire hinges in bedrooms - maybe it's just part of their sales pitch but I am convinced they told me it had to be this way.

The company I am using has stated something similar to you regarding the need for only one 'escape' per room (strange how they fitted 2 in one of the rooms with an identical window). They have gone on to say that if it has a fire hinge then it shouldn't have a locking handle either (although they haven't actually followed their own advice about this).

I suppose if there is nothing in the regs and no real need then I shouldn't worry about it - the only reason I became aware was because they seem to have done all the windows slightly differently so there is nothing totally consistent.

All seems a bit strange to me. Thank you for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back