Help Changing A Double Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guy's,

Please could somebody help me. I am in the middle of replacing all my plug and light fitting, and it has come time to change an old non working double dimmer switch, for a standard double switch.

Please could somebody help me change this.....
SP_A0070.jpg

And This.....
SP_A0071.jpg

Into This.....
SP_A0072.jpg

Any help would be very much appreciated.

pyschometal.

Sponsored Links
In the first pic, the 2 terminals that are linked go to the common terminals on the new switch. The other reds go to separate L1 terminals. Don't forget to mark them before you disconnect so you know which is which.

I would also add a flylead between the back box and the new switch (sleeved green & yellow).

Thanks for the very quick reply, now I am really going to take the biscuit.

Could you please give me a step by step tutorial kind of thing, You see I would really like to learn this and know every step, just so when I do it, I know that I am doing it properly.

I will understand if you don't want to, but I have to ask.

thanks again for the info o far.

pyschometal

1 - Turn off the 'leccy, and test that the circuit is dead.
2 - Get a marker pen and draw a line on the red conductor at the top right - this is your permanent live.
3 - Loosen the terminal screws and remove existing front.
4 - Install flylead between the earth terminal on the back box and the earth terminal of the new switch - sleeve green & yellow.
5 - Connect the red core with the line to one of the common terminals and fit the link between that terminal and the common next to it.
7 - Take the 2 remaining red cores and install them in separate L1 terminals.
8 - Check all the connections are tight.
9 - Refit the switch, turn on the power and see if it works.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I will give it a go and let you know how I get on.

Thanks again for your help.

pyschometal

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back