Swapping a dimmer switch for a rocker switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm trying to change a double dimmer switch for a double rocker switch and I need a little help in the wiring. I have included 2 photos of the old switch and the new switch. I'm confused with how the switches are labeled the old dimmer has live going into L1 and neutral going into C or COM.
the new switch are labeled L in L out N in and N out. Could anyone tell me how to wire up the new switch please.
Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for the advise. Switch works perfectly. You have saved me a stressful Sunday!

Hi, can i ask is the second switch 2way ? i.e. switching from two positions ?

If so, you cannot use 1 of your existing switches.

Regards,

lxboy

Sponsored Links
Your photographs are too small to be seen clearly even after magnification. ... You don't have a Neutral you have a live and switch live. ... Your new switch looks like it is an intermediate switch. ... You can use an intermediate switch as a normal one way switch by following this link in wiki - bottom of the page:
As you say, it's impossible to see the markings in the photo. However, given that we've been told that "the new switch are labeled L in L out N in and N out", isn't it more likley that he has DP switches than intermediate ones?

Whatever, it appears that he's got it to work (presumably by using one pole of each DP switch, if that's what they are) - but perhaps 'by chance' because of the similarity of terminal positions, despite having looked up how to do it with an intermediate switch?!

Kind Regards, John

Hi, can i ask is the second switch 2way ? i.e. switching from two positions ?
I know the photograph of the old switch is small but the right hand dimmer switch only shows two cables in the C (or L1) blue/yellow and red in L1 (or C).
So either C (blue/yellow) is acting as the live loop in/out or it is acting switch live out to two lamps - I don't believe it is acting as a two way.

If so, you cannot use 1 of your existing switches.
Seemingly he can because the OP seems happy with the result.

the new switch are labeled L in L out N in and N out", isn't it more likley that he has DP switches than intermediate ones?
Quite likely but if the 'L&N' in and out terminal don't know that I won't tell them, will you? ;)

the new switch are labeled L in L out N in and N out", isn't it more likley that he has DP switches than intermediate ones?
Quite likely but if the 'L&N' in and out terminal don't know that I won't tell them, will you? ;)
No, I won't! However, as I said, if the OP wired it on the basis of the advice he had been given to look up how to use an intermediate switch for one-way switching, he is just 'lucky' that it happened to work out for him when he applied those 'intermediate switch instructions' to what was probably a DP switch! In other situations of an OP being referred to the wrong set of instructions, the luck may be less and the outcome might not be so happy!

Kind Regards, John.

However, as I said, if the OP wired it on the basis of the advice he had been given to look up how to use an intermediate switch for one-way switching, he is just 'lucky' that it happened to work out for him when he applied those 'intermediate switch instructions' to what was probably a DP switch! In other situations of an OP being referred to the wrong set of instructions, the luck may be less and the outcome might not be so happy!
I must admit I haven't come across a dual pole double gang rocker switch before and therefore focused on what I thought I saw - but given the information the OP has provided I am bemused as to why you consider he is lucky?
As I said - the switch does not know it has L and N marked terminals - nor does it know that the cables are connected to the live and switch live. Its sole job is to create a connection between L and L1 and N and N1.

The OP's pictures show he only has live and switch live for each switch - applying the intermediate wiring diagram to the dp dual gang switch would give exactly the same result - you could even wire the N in and N out as the live and switch live with the same result.

So given we have a live and switch live (not a two way) - what other situation are you talking about?

I must admit I haven't come across a dual pole double gang rocker switch before and therefore focused on what I thought I saw
Nor have I, and I therefore initially made the exactly the same assumption as you. It was only subsequently that I noticed what the OP had actually written about the terminal markings.
- but given the information the OP has provided I am bemused as to why you consider he is lucky?
It was a general statement about the risk associated with directing an OP to an incorrect/inappropriate set of instructions. As you say:
- applying the intermediate wiring diagram to the dp dual gang switch would give exactly the same result
So, in this case, he was IMO 'lucky', in that it 'so happened' that the wiring diagram for a intermediate switch also 'works' with a DP switch. My only point was a general one, that we should try to be careful to point OPs towards the correct set of instructions because 'next time' someone is directed to 'inappropriate instructions' (relating to whatever), it might no 'so happen' that they still 'work' with the OP's actual situation. That's all - not a criticism (we've all done it!), just a comment that we all need to take care in relation to advice we give.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back