Rewiring and Earthing Dimmer Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have been wiring in some new plugs and a dimmer switch to our bedroom.

The original single rocker switch has more going on behind it than I expected, and I want to sense-check that I am doing it right. In particular I want to check I'm earthing it correctly.

Here is the orignal wiring on the rocker switch....

and here is the wiring with switch removed....

My understanding is the singular live wire is providing the input voltage as it was attached to L on the rocker switch. The double live wire is the "switched live" as it was in L1 on the switch. (It is not marked or taped, but I think it must be the switched live?)

So if i put single live into Com on the dimmer, and the double ended live into L1 on the dimmer this should be correct for the live wires. My problem then is understanding how to safely earth the metal faceplate. Do i free up all the earth cables and attach them to the earthing connection on the socket?

Any advice would be much appreciated, and apologies in advance if what ive written is unclear!

Sponsored Links
My understanding is the singular live wire is providing the input voltage as it was attached to L on the rocker switch. The double live wire is the "switched live" as it was in L1 on the switch. (It is not marked or taped, but I think it must be the switched live?)
Probably the other way round but it doesn't matter, does it?
The switch just connects the two to the other one when switched on. Just copy it.

So if i put single live into Com on the dimmer, and the double ended live into L1 on the dimmer this should be correct for the live wires.
Yes, or the other way round.

My problem then is understanding how to safely earth the metal faceplate. Do i free up all the earth cables and attach them to the earthing connection on the socket?
Connect them all to the switch terminal.

My problem then is understanding how to safely earth the metal faceplate. Do i free up all the earth cables and attach them to the earthing connection on the socket?

You appear to have one spare way on the earth strip - take an earth wire from that spare, to the earth terminal of the dimmer switch.

Sponsored Links
You appear to have one spare way on the earth strip - take an earth wire from that spare, to the earth terminal of the dimmer switch.
Thanks for the advice Harry. In this instance, does it matter which of the earth wires are attached to the dimmer switch? Left middle or right in the image? Which would be the from the spare way (youre right, theres two empty slots in the consumer box if I'm following what youre saying correctly)

Thanks for the advice Harry. In this instance, does it matter which of the earth wires are attached to the dimmer switch? Left middle or right in the image? Which would be the from the spare way (youre right, theres two empty slots in the consumer box if I'm following what youre saying correctly)

He means run a new earth to the switch plate from the connection block (using the spare port in the earth block).

do NOT remove one of the earths from the connector block.

Thanks for the advice Harry. In this instance, does it matter which of the earth wires are attached to the dimmer switch?
They ALL must be as I wrote.

Left middle or right in the image?
ALL of them.

Which would be the from the spare way (youre right, theres two empty slots in the consumer box if I'm following what youre saying correctly)
I don't think you are.

Did you know these things simply connect together ALL the wires in them?
1698768212346.png

Understood, I should connect a new earth wire from the earth terminal on the dimmer switch, into the spare port in the earth block. That makes perfect sense, apologies for my misunderstanding, and thankyou all for clearing it up. I'm keen to learn more so I can do these simple jobs myself but clearly have a ways to go!

Understood, I should connect a new earth wire from the earth terminal on the dimmer switch, into the spare port in the earth block. That makes perfect sense, apologies for my misunderstanding, and thankyou all for clearing it up. I'm keen to learn more so I can do these simple jobs myself but clearly have a ways to go!
If you're not sure of that then you mustn't be competent. You could have blindly created a potentially dangerous situation there.

If you're not sure of that then you mustn't be competent. You could have blindly created a potentially dangerous situation there.

I get the thrust of your point, but the OP asked for advice, and seems to understand what is required. They were asking for advice about earthing, they weren't asking for advice about rewiring their consumer unit.

This is a DIY site- surely it is better for someone like @EFLImpudence to guide people. He, eventually nudged the OP in what looks like the correct direction.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back