Help changing light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

I'm hoping to change a light fitting today

The current ceiling rose looks like this

IMG_3861.jpg

However the new light fitting has just three wires to connect to (red, blue, green).

Any ideas?!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Red seems like an odd colour of choice for a new light fitting. Do you have a picture, make/model of the fitting? From your existing fitting from the left you have 3 black neutral wires, 4 red live wires and then 1 black switched live. mark that single black wire as switched live so you do not mix this up with a neutral (bit of brown electrical tape would suffice). Also those earth wires should be untwisted, sleeved in earth sleeve and then placed inside that earth terminal on the left.

If you can show us what terminals etc.. is available on your new fitting we can advise what needs doing.

Looks a bit basic...? haha

Would've thought there was something that needed screwing into

Sponsored Links
That looks like brown to me. If so then it should be Brown - Live, Blue - Neutral, Green/Yellow - Earth. This represents what you have now (with the exception of no earth wire) so simply turn off the fuse for the lights, unscrew the blue/brown, move the earths to that earth terminal and add the fittings earth. Obviously you need to strip back some more of that outer insulation so the wires will reach. Don't forget to use the strain relief clamp and clips like the existing fitting has.

Thanks - sorry probably is brown ... colour blind!

So I just take off those two wires in the 'loop' section and put the new ones into it and earth into the gold screw on the left?

Thanks again

Did you not get anything else with this except the hanging part? If not I assume they thought you would either buy something new or just be using the existing ceiling rose.

Yes, remove the brown and blue onto those loop clips (they are a form of strain relief from the terminals) and then do the same with the new wires. Put the earth into the gold screw but make sure you also move those twisted earth into the gold screw terminal also.

Make sure you turn off the lighting circuit and not just the light switch. Also post a picture when you've done so we can check.

Nothing else supplied - besides from this diagram etc

IMG_3863.jpg

Really appreciate your help
Will give it a go and if I live to tell the tale I will post the pic!

Ok it looks like that fitting is meant to be used without the ceiling rose and with the use of a terminal block. you could use a choc block but if you can get hold of some maintenance free connectors like wago terminals then this is by far the best choice.

However if that black cover goes over the existing ceiling rose (including those cable clamps that came with it, I would be inclined to keep the existing ceiling rose in place. BUT it might not have enough room to cover it with those live wires being in the middle, in which case your going to need some connector blocks to replicate the ceiling rose terminals.

That's the ones but you will need a couple of 4 lever ones and a 5 lever one or could just use all 5 lever etc... but it all depends which ones you have and space available. It probably would be best to get the installers basic kit as this covers all the requirements for this project and gives you plenty of spares for other jobs you might come across.

You would then use the push in ones for the red wires (these are a little smaller than lever ones), then the lever ones for where your using the stranded wires.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/wago-basic-installer-box-75pcs/48808

So I just take off those two wires in the 'loop' section and put the new ones into it and earth into the gold screw on the left?
No - you don't connect any of the conductors from your new light to the loop terminals.

Probably best if you postpone the fitting until the weekend, and spend the time you had set aside today learning how it all works. Just blindly following instructions to put-this-wire-in-that-hole without truly knowing why is not sound basis for doing electrical work.

bas I interpreted the two wires in the 'loop' section was referring to the light fitting the way they loop around the strain clips as they are the only 2 wires that could refer to (I also made it clear that it was loop clips not terminals). However I guess its best to double check to avoid any confusion although I doubt the OP knows about the actual loop in order to refer to that.

It does you are right bas but as they mentioned 2 wires I assume they were on about the live/neutral from the fitting (although one should never assume with this forum).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back