Help!-chipped tile in a middle of tiling run!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bathroom is slowly progressing.

On looking at the tiles I've alread done ( a few weeks ago!) I've found that one of the tiles must have been faulty, and a chip a size of a pea has 'blown' from the centre of one tile.
They are dark tiles, so it is realy noticable.

How do get the tile off the wall to replace it? They aren't grouted yet and have a 2mm gap around them.
The tiles are fixed firmly with BAL adhevive on to plastered walls!

It's not a place where I could put a mirror.

I've also got a few broken off spacers stuck between the tiles. How do I get those out?

Sponsored Links
smash it out starting from the tile centre. your lucky it's not grouted as this will make removal simpler and with a better chance of success.

Thanks for that. How is it best to start in the middle of the tile?

Hammer?
Drill first?
small cold chisel?

I cut a cross through the tile with an angle grinder, then get a flat bladed screwdriver in the cuts and prise the tile sections off the wall.

Sponsored Links
If you have grouted, try & scrape the grout away befor you start to break the tiles.
When I moved to my current house, I removed many individual tiles from the bathroom that had screw holes in.
Just take your time.

I've had a similar problem which I resolved in the way previously described, but are you sure you need to remove spacers? I thought you could leave plastic ones in and then grout over them, but perhaps others will know more...

If you leave spacers in, when you grout, you will only have a thin layer of grout over the spacers, this in time can flake out.
You need a good depth of grout for it to bond firmly.

You should be able to get spacers out with a fine screwdriver/small hammer, each one will take a bit of time,but be careful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back