Help choosing a floor!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a shoebox of a flat & am looking to replace the flooring. I've been told to make the place seem bigger I should use the same flooring throughout. I need to do the bedroom, hall & open plan kitchen living room. I would like a wood floor but there seems to be a raft of contradictory advice as to whether you can use laminate, engineered or real wood in kitchens! I’ve considered vinyl but I don’t fancy vinyl in my bedroom, I can’t have something different in the kitchen to the lounge because they are open plan and a quality vinyl is going to cost as much as the real thing. So can someone tell me what flooring can be laid in a kitchen?

I eventually want to have a maple kitchen with black granite worktops and I've got veneered maple internal doors, I would love to go for a dark floor to contrast this but the rooms are small & I’ve been told a dark floor will make them feel smaller, matching the maple is proving problematic so what colour/type of wood should I go for floor?

Lastly any recommendations on where to buy and a guide for cost to install? There aren’t too many awkward angles or spaces but I don’t think I can lay it myself as I’ve got knackered knee’s & can’t kneel! I need 30sqm & have already bought & will lay sheets of 6mm Depron as the underlay.

Sponsored Links
Wood-Engineered floors are suitable for kitchens, we install them constantly. Solid wood in kitchens in not recommended.
For colour effect in rooms, see here for examples

we have genuine vinyl on our kitchen floor, none of your wood rubbish. Easy to sweep, mop, and wipe. cant do that with your genuine wood

Ah Breezer ;)
genuine vinyl is a known toxic, not the anti-allergic benefit our wood has.
Easy to sweep, mop and wipe, plus it becomes more beautiful over time unlike your rubbish vinyl ;)

Sponsored Links
We have engineered oak which required a light sand and 3 coats of osmo wax, been down around 18 months now has changed to a warmer tone and looks great - much warmer underfoot than laminate.

BB - 'cos you aren't laying it (whatever you choose) get 3 quotes for supply & fit but present them with the same 'tight' specification to quote against. List on the spec. 1 = laminate, spec. 2 = engineered, spec. 3 = solid, etc; include, doormat well (if appropriate), door strips, beading, etc.

Nothing wrong with laminate ... as long as you don't spill water on it ... often this is all folks can afford. If you do use laminate in the kitchen make sure you could get it up without too much hassle to replace if it gets water damaged.

Engineered is best for your situation (as per WYL's advice).

We often install solid stuff in all the apartments we convert/refurbish without any problems, even in bathroom & kitchens.

In fact, I fitted solid reclaimed maple over 25+ years ago in my own house, in the kitchen, bathroom and the conservatory and it still looks as good (actually better) than the day it was put down.

So, if you're on a tight budget maybe it's laminate (but consider the danger of moisture) otherwise engineered.

Thanks for all the advice, think I am going to stick with my original choice which is engineered wood!! :D
'Woodyoulike' - Thanks for the link very useful!! :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back