Help Choosing External Wood Cladding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi;

I am building a workshop in my garden and would like some advice on choosing some appropriate cladding to suit.

I have an Irish Oak UPVC window like this one and would like the cladding to compliment it and this is the kind of look that I am hoping to achieve.

Yte230G.png

What cladding would you advise (what type of wood) and to be able to fit the cladding in a horizontal plane as per the picture what kind of fixings? The above looks like shiplap or T&G?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
probably txg shiplap
ex5"[109mm coverage] is cheaper than ex6"[133mm coverage] by about 1/3 in other words the extra 25% coverage costs you 50% more

From TP here, the Shiplap Softwood 125mm is £1.49 pm compared to the 150mm which is £3.22 pm.
I guess I would need to treat and protect it before use. I want a colour as close as the pic in the first post.

Timberclick do Homegrown and Siberian Larch, the description on the Homegrown ref knots falling out and resin puts me off.
The Siberian Larch is Kiln Dried and for 100mm it is £3.00 per metre. This would also need a treatment to prevent silvering.

So its is UK Redwood or Siberian Larch?

What would be the best kind of treatment?

Been trying to do some estimates and calculations - I need just under 8m2.
Options:

TimberClick Siberian Larch works out at about £330

Wickes Exterior Softwood Cladding Kiln Dried works out at about £130

Travis Perkins Shiplap Redwood untreated works out at £120

Both the Wickes and TP will need treating I guess adding to the overall cost.

It's over budget but I reckon the Siberian Larch is the better bet?

Sponsored Links
Just had another look at Siberian Larch on TimberClick and I was pricing up the secret nailed 25mm x 100mm, the 25mm x 150mm ShipLap works out cheaper at £265.

dont forget they havent given the coverage they have given the sizes you need to deduct about 10mm as the measurement dont allow for the tongue being 10mm into the groove

and 6x1[150x25] is the pre worked size so about 20x133 coverage
and 4x1[100x25] is the pre worked size so about 20x88mm coverage

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back