HELP! CO2 alarm going off and boiler room like a sauna

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

I have an old Halstead floor standing conventional boiler (which I actually got a quote on replacing today...). It lives in a small room with an external wall with two vents in it and a flue that goes up from the boiler to the roof.

This evening the CO2 alarm has gone off and the room is like a sauna, much hotter than usual and very humid. I turned the boiler off (pilot light only) and vented the room. The CO2 alarm went idle but a couple of hours later I tried putting the boiler back on and again the room is getting hot and humid. I turned the boiler back off before the alarm went off again.

The only different thing I can think of is that it is very windy today but equally it was fine this morning.

Any ideas? Is the boiler finally giving up the ghost or could it be something simpler? I'm loathe to turn the boiler back on without seeking advice.

All help/suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers,

Mark

Sponsored Links
If your CO alarm keeps going off now is not the time to muck about getting free advice of the internet, call a professional in.

No one can advise you without being on site.

Do not turn it back on until it has been looked at by a gas safe engineer.

It is CO not CO2 and will be deadly.

Thanks Both,

The CO (not CO2, it's been a long day...) alarm is a good quality one and only a couple of months old. The alarm went off after the boiler had been on for an hour or so. It is currently on pilot light only and has been for 3 or 4 hours without the alarm going off. Is it safe to leave like this until I can get someone out in the morning or should I shut it down completely?

Cheers,

Mark

Sponsored Links
Pilot should be ok on its own.

Boiler could just need a massive service. Or it could be more terminal (some pun intended :D ).

Wife is on the phone now accepting one of the replacement boiler quotes so terminal or not it is on its way out.

Just hope we don't have to wait too long before they can fit the new one.

Thanks for your help.

Mark

I was just going to say that I thought it was terminal!

Dont think that I could live with a wife who accepted quotes ( unless she was going to pay for them! ).

It might also have an asbestos flue!

Tony

I was just going to say that I thought it was terminal!

Dont think that I could live with a wife who accepted quotes ( unless she was going to pay for them! ).

It might also have an asbestos flue!

Tony

Yup asbestos flue it is.

That was included in the quote though!

That was lucky, some forget about it at the quote stage and suddenly realise their omission when they start work.

How are they dealing/charging for the asbestos flue?

Tony

That was lucky, some forget about it at the quote stage and suddenly realise their omission when they start work.

How are they dealing/charging for the asbestos flue?

Tony

Removing the bottom section of the flue. Making good the ceiling and leaving the rest in situ it is boxed-in in one of the bedrooms en-route to the roof.

Not sure about charge as they haven't provided an itemised estimate, just a breakdown of the various work items and a final figure.

They aren't cheap but I've used them before, I know others who have had them in to do boiler replacements and they have been around a long time locally. They have also told me tonight that they think they can fit me in this week if my current boiler has died.

Mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back