help - confused girl!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know ;) - but i am a girl and I am confused.

My dad needs a security light puttin in and in my ignorance i though i could w=ire it from a nearby light-switch by replacing the 2way single swith with a double switch etc..

so i bought the 2 way 2 gang switch, moved the wiring of the exisitng light over to the new one (successfully) and then tried to wire up the new one. but of course got stuck as there is nowhere to put the neutral return from the light to the switch.. i have read and realised i should creata a new mini circuit by adding a junction box to the light circuit.. but that is a much bigger job,... beyond my time and expertise.

So can somebody just explain.. in the exisitng 2 way switch i have:

a red coming from the COM
a red and blue in L1
a yellow and black in L2

L1 is live and COM must be switch live as it only goes live when i flick the switch..

so WHAT ARE IN L2??? I assumed they were neutral and that I could add my new neautral to them, clearly stupid but now annoyed..

Sue

Sponsored Links
Look at the diagram (switch area).

electrics:lighting:lrblbn2w.gif

You can't do what your intending to do. The new fitting requires a neutral, which your switch won't have.

You need to wire from a ceiling rose with a LNE feed to a new switch and from that to the security light.

Most DIYers fit the light with black rubber 3 core flex, run that through the wall, having run the cable to a nearby socket then fit a plug with a 3a fuse .

The correct way would be to employ a spark and get a cert since outside electrics (if you can call a lamp with a cable straight through the wall an outside job) are in scope Part P rules and notification is required.

It could also mean several millions should have their Xmas decorations and trees up outside :(

thanks for the explanation.. was very proud of myself getting my head round the 2 way wiring, and most annoyed that i couldnt solve the neutral.

Had already decided the plug way a sensible option..

many thanks for the rapid and informative posts

Sponsored Links
The correct way would be to employ a spark and get a cert since outside electrics (if you can call a lamp with a cable straight through the wall an outside job) are in scope Part P rules and notification is required.
Approved Document P says not, if all the wiring is inside until it goes through the wall directly into the light...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back