HELP - cracking paint????

Have a good look at it first..if you dont think theres any damp then you could, if you wanted give it a slightly thinned coat of oil based primer sealer, alkali resisting is the best one...

If there is a problem with the plaster being smooth that should sort it...im not convinced about PVA and im sure ive read on here somewhere about someone doing it and the paint coming off after..

Either that or try re painting a small area first and see how it holds..dont rub the plaster down you'l scratch it to bits..

to get the rest off...a filling knife might do it...the blade is thinner and more able to get under the paint.

Sponsored Links
Did it look the same as my problem (click to get bigger pic):
http://www.picshosted.com/v/18300

The old paint had the cracks in it when we moved in, so that should have set alarm bells ringing.

Originally the cracks appeared a few weeks after painting.

I sealed the walls with 4:1 PVA solution.
After letting that dry for a day I repainted with Dulux Once.
This time the cracks came back after a few days.

Sponsored Links
Those type of cracks look like emulsion or somesort of waterbased coating painted over the top of oil based...either that or a greasy wall underneath..

As paint dries it needs something to bite to..gloss is too shiny..paint shrinks when it dries and will form that type of pattern... its sometimes called crocodiling

The PVA wont solve anything really, all the action is going on between the glossy coating and whatever was put over the top..

And could actually add to the problem in some cses becuase its wuite flexible, even when dry.

JohnD said:
Blowlamp and paint scraper, I reckon.

Yep...or stck some cheap sticky back plastic on it and then try ripping it off quick...might work.. :rolleyes:

Please, please stop using one coat emulsion cos it is ****e. Far to thick. However you explained that the old paint had the cracks in it when we moved in ! Anyway is this pic from kitchen, bathroom, living room or other rooms ? Also cheap matt emulsion & emulsion intended for only new surfaces & acrylic undercoats intended for only new wood can also cause the scenario that is in your pic. Also reasons "Zampa" & "JohnD" explain also cause your pic scenario. However, i know of a person who has same probs as you "JamesA" and how to "fix" it with the least hassle, what he done was apply lining paper over walls, then let dry (72 hours), then emulsion over and its still ok after 5 years. Though the choice is yours in terms of the direction you take to fix your prob.

I'd rather avoid lining paper, even if this means more work.
Its all the walls of one of the bedrooms.

Apart from this problem I've found the Dulux Once stuff to be quite good in all the other rooms where I've been covering up lighter colours.
Its easier for novice painters as well as it doesn't drip.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back