Please Help!... I`m desperate..........!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all..............

Can anyone give me some advice on paint cracking/paint crazing....
I have read a couple of posts, but there does`nt seem to be a definative answer to my own situation..........

I have just taken posession of a new apartment, and am decorating the entire premises.. All of the walls i have painted over the last 4 days in 3 rooms have crazed/ split cracked, like dry mud.....................

All of the walls i`ve painted on were clean, & would appear to have been previously painted with a standard matt emultion......... I started by using Dulux rich matt white emultion, but this crazed very quickly.. I then bought brewers trade white paint, matt finish, & the same cracking has occurring... I have gone over 2 of the walls 7 times... but still the crazing effect returns... The only surface that is unaffected are the lightly artexed ceilings.. These covered perfectly and have not crazed....................

The only element that has been present during the last few days is the heat............. apartment feels very warm......... I will admit to applying the paint pretty liberally, but this is something i have done many times before on previous decorating jobs & have never experienced this cracked mud effect....

I am desperate for some help with this..... I am unable to move into the property until the decorating is complete............ I would be more grateful than you know for some advice on where i go from here.......

I am willing to sell my soul to the devil for a solution right now...... So just give me the papers & i`ll sign.......... :evil:

Any help gratefully recieved... Thanks..........................

Sponsored Links
If the walls once had wallpaper and the paste was left on when it was stripped this will cause it.

Try watering your paint down 25% and see how that goes. If that's OK and the walls are sealed try it a bit thicker .

If all else fails, try an oil based primer.

Try a small area first.

Zinsser water based sealer :idea: Just used it myself on a problem wall in our new(to us) house. Not cheap. But it sure works. Just noticed you posted in the night :!: If you want ,I could come and have a look for you , assuming you`re in E. Sussex, I am too. My eMail is in my profile.

Thanks for ya responses fella`s... really appreciate ya suggestions......... Have also been advised by Brewers to use oil based primer......... If i use Zinsser, being water based, are there any likely side affects... Not sure if i use the oil base or water base.... MAN, THIS IS PERPLEXING.........!!!!!

Have to say that on going to property this morning, the test areas that i`ve painted with coloured paint on the adjoining walls yesterday, are showing no signs of cracking/crazing, (apart from where i used the white paint to come down under the coving, covering up old colour so i could get a good clean edge against the white......) The coloured paint over the top of this narrow band of white is showing cracking and tram lines...... seems that wherever the white paint goes it cracks.... Just real strange ... Never experienced this before....... & Joe the walls were clean... no signs of paste, think the previous owner had decorated within the last few months........

Just need some feedback on whether i go with the water base or oil base???????????? & i`ll try that route.

Thanks Nige..... i`m in Eastbourne........i`ll see how i go over next day or two... see if any of the options work....... & yes mate....was a late nite/ early morning...........It was either try my luck on here , or jump off my balcony... Who`da thought a wall and some paint could be this damn stressful....... :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Eastbourne..easy ;) Brewers are good people.. If any doubt go for the Shellac based Zinsser ( not strictly oil based). In the circumstances I would recommend spending the money on Zin. They are strange size tins (USA imperial I think) anyways I did a 10 foot square room in our new house with the water based. for £40 . That was over powdery plaster that was left after the wallpaper took off all the paint from 20 years ago :eek: . I have a slight concern that these cracks might be deep enough now to show. See how you get on M8. All the best.

Oil based primer is a fraction of the price of the other stuff and it's always worked for me.

Oil based primer is a fraction of the price of the other stuff and it's always worked for me.

Rigsby.jpg

OOI, how did you clean the walls before you started painting? Was there any sign of old wallpaper paste or size or PVA?

how old and dry are the walls?

Like £20 for 2.5 litres Johnstones primer. Vs £40 for 3.75 litres of Zin water based. That`s a fraction something like 8/11ths. :confused:

Don't use Johnstone's then - uses the cheapest no frills stuff you can find - will still do a better job than a water based primer. Or use Wiko's oil based undercoat. I got 2.5 litres for £7.50.

is oil-based undercoat considered a good way to prep plastered walls prior to emulsion, then?

how does it compare with a watered emulsion mist coat?

JohnD,I respect your advice as a senior member of the forum,but if you look futher up the thread,it is advice sought after a mist coat senario,i.e. crazing after emulsion upon emulsion,think joe90 advice is valid,or Zinseer BIN. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back