Help - curtain pole nightmare!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope anyone out there can help me.

I'm trying to put up a new curtain pole in replacement of the old curtain rail that was there before. Sounds easy.

The wooden batton is not flat to the wall. The wall is indented for all but 3 inches at either end of the batton, so there's nothing behind the majority of it but fresh air!

The Curtain pole is designed to be screwed to a wall, not a batton.

If I screw it to the batton (which has seen better days!), I'm worried that it won't support the weight.

If I remove the batton / screw to the wall either side of the batton / screw to the wall above the batton, there is nothing to screw the centre support to.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
remove the offending batton and then fill in all the holes etc to neaten it up. get yourself a bit of old timber a couple of feet long (if that) and an inch thick, and saw it into 3 roughly equal pieces big enough to fit to the wall and put the curtain pole fixings on. put the bits of wood up on the wall with strong nails, one in each corner, then tap them in with one of those punch wotsits so you can then fill over the nail head to hide it. then screw the pole fixing onto that. pretty basic stuff really, i'm no diy expert, but i've put up one of my poles this way as i had probs drilling into the wall above the window, so gave up and did this way instead. 2 years later it's still hanging fine. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back