HELP!!! Electrical Advice Needed Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Can anyone help give advice please? had a new consumer unit fitted and re-wire to kitchen, so everything is on their own fuses.
ie. lights, sockets, oven, hob.

The problem is - now in the middle of having kitchen units fitted and now told its illegal to have switched socket and isolator for the induction hob, on the wall directly behind where the hob will be fitted - also illegal to have sockets on the wall very near to where the sink will be.

Been told the hob isolator switch & socket needs to be moved and the thick cable coming direct from consumer unit - would have to be jointed in order to reach the new position of isolator switch and then another piece of cable from isolator switch direct to the hob.

I thought it was illegal to leave wired joints in clear plastic little boxes in the wall and then plaster?

Should a special junction box be used for the induction hob (if so, what do they look like? and should they be wall mounted or buried in the wall?) to join the cable which comes direct from consumer unit to the wall - then needs jointing/extending to reach the new position of isolator switch, then a third length of cable from isolator switch directly wired to hob.

Sorry for the length of email, I hope this makes sense? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated :confused:

Sponsored Links
Having the isolator and a socket installed directly above the hob will more than likely cause problems and should be moved.

Are you aware if your socket circuit within the kitchen is protected by an RCD?

As for connections/joints, they should be made available for inspection, so ideally not plastered over.

Did a spark install the new fuse board and wiring to the kitchen?

There is a distinction between actually illegal and against the regulations so my replies refer to the regulations.

told its illegal to have switched socket and isolator for the induction hob, on the wall directly behind where the hob will be fitted
Extremely silly and unwise, obviously.
"Put your hand through the chip-pan fire and turn off please".

also illegal to have sockets on the wall very near to where the sink will be.
Only 300mm is recommended but use common sense.

I thought it was illegal to leave wired joints in clear plastic little boxes in the wall and then plaster?
Definitely against the regulations.

Should a special junction box be used for the induction hob (if so, what do they look like? and should they be wall mounted or buried in the wall?)
If you don't mind a box on the wall then you can use any connector.
If being buried then you must use 'maintenance-free' joints - e.g. crimps (properly made)

and now told its illegal to have switched socket and isolator for the induction hob, on the wall directly behind where the hob will be fitted - also illegal to have sockets on the wall very near to where the sink will be.

Not illegal but definitely a violation of common sense.

Sponsored Links
Usually if a cable needs re-routing, it can be removed from the wall and re-installed in the new position.

If the cable is not long enough, usually a joint can be made.

Joints can be buried in the wall if correctly crimped and in a safe wiring zone, yet it's often preferred to do the joint under a wooden floor or in a ceiling void. You could join the cable in an enclosure behind an appliance or above a cupboard so it could be accessed if needed.

Do NOT join a cable with screw connectors in an inaccessible place such as buried in a wall.

Should a special junction box be used for the induction hob (if so, what do they look like? and should they be wall mounted or buried in the wall?)
If being buried then you must use 'maintenance-free' joints - e.g. crimps (properly made)

You seem to have contradicted yourself there.

I thought this meant a chock-box buried.

Surface mounted.

You seem to have contradicted yourself there.
Is that clearer?

You do seem to be having a lot of problems since you spoke to us about your rewire here:
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2047498#2047498
You told us you used an electrician to conduct the rewire for you.
That electrician would have been following your instructions in so far as placement of electrical fittings for your kitchen.
He should have not installed such fittings in places that would likely breach the building regulations.
He should have issued you with a Electrical Installation Certificate et al and notified your Local Authority Building Control either directly or through his Competent Persons Scheme (CPS).
In either case you should have received a Building Regulation Certificate of Complianace from the CPS or LABC.
If the electrician has incorrectly fitted electrical fittings in your kitchen which you know now to be in breach of the building regulations then you should immediately get him back to do the job properly.
Alternatively, call his CPS, they will be able to help resolve this problem.
Of course if you did this work yourself or used a non CPS electrician or one that has not notified your LABC then........................

also illegal to have sockets on the wall very near to where the sink will be.
The Electrician's Guide to the Building Regulations recommends that sockets should be no closer than 300mm from a sink.

But this is not a regulation per se, as i have highlighted. It is good practise though.........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back