help!! emulsion paint on carpet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please anyone help me I have spilt blue emulsion paint on my geen landing carpet,I have tried to get it out but made it even worse.Please can some one help me, as Its too expensive to replace landing,hall and stairs carpet :cry: :cry: :cry:

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I would've thought water as the emulsion is a water base paint, maybe a dry steam cleaning vac.

Sorry but emulsion paint is not really water based. The paint resins aren't dissolved in the water - a better word would be dispersed. That's why it's called emulsion.

Emulsions are funny things and I don't pretend to understand them completely though I think it's got something to do with electrically charged particles surrounded by water's highly polarized molecules. Any chemists reading this please help me out!

Once the water evaporates it is not possible (for us) to re-emulsify the paint itself. Moreover, paint doesn't just dry; it also polymerizes. Try wiping freshly dried oil based paint with white spirit. It comes off. Now try the same trick with old, well hardened paint. White spirit won't touch this stuff. You will need something like methylene chloride and even this won't actually dissolve old paint.

None of this is helping you get that paint off your carpet but here's something I learnt by accident - and I don't know why it works. Meths takes emulsion paint off walls. This is worth trying on you carpet. If it doesn't work you can remove meths with water.

I do have another trick that works only with small spots and only if they haven't sunk down into the pile. Get a small pare of wire cutters or nail clippers and cut the spots out. The slight dents in the surface of the carpet will never be noticed.

Hi,

I bought a little tube of 'Paint Away' from Kleeneze. Its for emulsion or gloss and I've used it successfully on my jeans. Its a gel that lifts the paint off but you still have to pick at it a bit. I think its their own label so not sure if there is something in the shops thats similar....

Emma

Sponsored Links
felix said:
Sorry but emulsion paint is not really water based. The paint resins aren't dissolved in the water - a better word would be dispersed. That's why it's called emulsion.
Ahhh! maybe I got away with it when it was still wet on the carpet?

daft as it souns, but depending on the carpet, sandpaper works! (especially on carpet tiles or similar

A hint that I was given some time ago, which worked perfectly.

Spread some Vaseline Intensive Care Lotion over it, leave if for at least 2 hours, then it will be disolved, and will scrape off easily.

i swear by the industrial wipes, or gorrila wipes. they get rid of anything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back