help! euro cylinder lock won't budge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I managed to remove one lock with ease, but on a different door the cylinder wont fully come out. Using the key at a slight angle does allow the cylinder to retract by about 5mm but no further - as if something is preventing it from moving further out. Any ideas?

I took the handle off and it reveals an inner retaining plate with two hex screws, could this be whats preventing it from sliding out?

Attachments

• IMG_2317.JPG
    IMG_2317.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 469
  • IMG_2316.JPG
    IMG_2316.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 466
Sponsored Links
thanks. I'll have another go at this tonight. Is it at all possible that that retaining plate on the inside could be preventing it from releasing? The handle and the cylinder mechanism are made by a uk firm called avantis, checked their website but cant find anything relating to uk standards or star ratings.

Is it at all possible that that retaining plate on the inside could be preventing it from releasing?
The screw that normally secures the cylinder are fixed side on to the cylinder, so would not expect the fixings pictured to be securing the cylinder, very likely they are holding the locking mechanism bars in place. Normally just a bit of a wiggle with the key in lock, frees it.

Sponsored Links
Sometimes the lock will only come out from one side, usually the inside of the door.
The idea being that if the lock was snapped from the outside it would still be impossible to remove the lock and gain entry from the outside.

Mike

It does look a little unusual. Possibly some sort of cylinder guard.
Can you post a pic of the outside of it?

i managed to get the cylinder out. Had to remove the retaining bracket because the. cylinder had an additional headless screw that prevented it from coming out easily.

All sorted now, thanks for all the replies with advice

Attachments

• IMG_2322.JPG
    IMG_2322.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 537
another happy camper

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back