HELP.....Fence post bolt down anchor!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening Folks,
I need a little bit of advice. My next project is to put up a close board fence in my front garden, easy you might think? Here's the problem, I wish to put the fence on top of a wall thats about 17" wide, the wall is made of stone and the top is NOT LEVEL. I was hoping to use bolt down anchors for my posts but i can't as they lean to one side. Is their any way round this like packing out the corners with washers?

Any help on this matter would be great.

Many thanks SB

Sponsored Links
how high is the fence?

to be honest your on a hiding to nothing using boltdowns to anchor a fence to a top of a wall. it will not last too long.

Hi Thermo,
Many thanks for taking the time to reply. The fence is going to be 6' running down to 5'. I've been thinking about ways to get round it but have no option to put it on top of the wall.

Thanks SB

at that height forget it. bolt downs, will never support a fence that height on top of a wall, especially closeboard. youd be better off running the posts up the side of the wall

Sponsored Links
Do as Thermo suggests.

Consider your fence when the wind catches it & the thickness of the layer of stones that you bolt it to.

Dry stone wall perhaps?

It will blow off & you will have to repair the wall as well as the fence.

Use pillars that go up alongside it, you can put extra short bits of post screwed to the main posts to extend the post over the wall so you can put on arris rails that will put the close boarding directly in the middle (or edge) of the wall as you'd wish. (if you get my gist).

Edit: Just noticed you saying it will be 6" high.
For that, given that it will be on top of a wall that I am assuming is higher than 6", you will need planning permission as you cannot go above 6'6" without it.

How about this naff picture that just took me 5 mins to draw, then 10 mins to get my 13yr old son to come downstairs & show me how to do it so I can save it with the lines showing :D

Many thanks for all your help. With a bit of luck this is the wall i'm on about. If i put post up one side it's going to look horrible with the posts showing and i won't get posts long enough? If i go down the other side i'm gonna have to dig up my lawn? It sounds like the boltdowns are a none starter so it looks like i'm gonna have to go lawn side!! Just to clear up the fence will be 6' going down to 5' and visable from both sides.

Many thanks SB

[/img]

i would definetly go down the lawn side. with a bit of care youd never know youd been there if its done well.

Hi,
I've taken your advice and decided to go down the lawn side. The holes are nice and neat and haven't damaged the lawn one bit!!
Now for the next question, I've decided to do a hit and miss fence using 6" boards with 4" gaps to allow the wind through, the length of my fence will be 17', i'm using 11' 1/2" railings, will i have to use 5 posts or will i get away with using just 4 posts? The posts are 4"x4"x8' and the railings are 4"x1 1/2".

Any advice would be great, Regards SB

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back