Help fitting new electric shower and MCB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:confused: Hello

I have a "Mira Sport" shower (dated 1996-1998) that has finally stopped working (blown neon circuit board).

Looking at my shower on the wall with the cover off - the mains water is top left hand side and the power is bottom left hand side.

MY QUESTIONS (2)

1)

Does anybody know of a 8.5kW electric shower that I can get hold off that has mains water inlet top/left and power bottom/left.

I ask because all .pdf files I've looked at so far say Retrofit and have
inlet mains water feed AND power supply at the bottom right hand side.

I'm looking for any easy swap over.

2)

One other point - on my consumer unit the fuse for the shower is rated
MCB B32

This 8.5kW shower has never tripped the MCB - with that in mind can I fit a higher rated MCB to the consumer unit to accommodate a 9.8kW shower?

If so, would the wiring for the 8.5kW handle the extra load?

Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Stephen Knight

Sponsored Links
how much you got to play with on your cable ?

if you stick with mira most are both on the left but the water inlet is nearer the bottom than the top as yours is.

is your water main rear entry at the moment ?

Thanks seco services.

Just dug out loads of sealant - managed to pull out enough cable for any fixing point.

The mains water is rear entry.

you could always go for a later sport.
if cable length not an issue.

i take it you pipe exits the wall then up into the inlet valve ?

you can always put a pic on here.

Sponsored Links
hi zappastix ref. item 2
9.8 kw for proposed shower
9800 watts devided by 240 volts is 40.8 amps
9800 watts devided by 230 volts is 42,6 amps
240 volts is the average incoming supply and 230 volts is what the electrical supplier would have us believe is the average but either way you will need a 40 or 50 amp MCB. you MUST find out if you have a 6mm or 10 mm T&E supply cable before connecting the new shower.6mm will not do it safely and 10mm is the only safe option
you may want to get a second opinion in electrics uk but this is very important.
my electric shower is the highest electrical load in my home. it pulls 42 amps out of a total load of 82 amps.that is every electrical item in the house on at the same time

Shouldn't showers being fitted in a bathroom or kitchen now be fitted by a qualified electrician?

no not if it's a straight change or elecy has fitted a new cable you can still fit the shower unit.

never fitted one in a kitchen yet. LOL.
but i know what you mean.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back