!!!!!!! HELP !!!!!!!! Fitting Toilet Need some Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fitting a toilet and wanted to know:

1/ Can I use the old soil pipe or do I need a new one as the seals maybe damaged?

2/ Do I need to add any type of sealant/ glue when reconnecting the soil pipe?

3/ I read another post which said to use "washing up liquid" to put the soil pipe back on, would this be ok? as the instructions says not to use washing up liquid as it will damage the seals.

4/ What size push fit flexible hose must I use to connect the cisten to the water inlet?

5/ I'm having to screw the cisten & bathroom sink into a plasterboard wall, what fixings do I need to get & can I buy them at Screwfix.

All the help and advice wopuld be greatly apperciated. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
1/ Can I use the old soil pipe or do I need a new one as the seals maybe damaged?
why did you remove the soilpipe or do you mean the pan connector ?

2/ Do I need to add any type of sealant/ glue when reconnecting the soil pipe?
no

3/ I read another post which said to use "washing up liquid" to put the soil pipe back on, would this be ok? as the instructions says not to use washing up liquid as it will damage the seals.
get some silicone grease then

4/ What size push fit flexible hose must I use to connect the cisten to the water inlet?
1/2"" x 15mm

5/ I'm having to screw the cisten & bathroom sink into a plasterboard wall, what fixings do I need to get & can I buy them at Screwfix.

redidrivers and yes screwfix do them

Cheers KevPlumb,

Sorry I didn't make it clear. I haven't removed it but I'm in the process of changing the toilet and wanted to know if I needed to change the "waste pipe" with a new one or can I use the old one already there.

Cheers
:)

p1076802_l.jpg

if you mean this bit then get a new one its not worth the hassle of reusing the old one ;)

Sponsored Links
Well it look similar to that, although mine bends off to the left when looking straight on. Are they all a universal size because the one on my toilet (the part that goes into the waste pipe connected to the stake) looks bigger?

Sorry to be a pain in the back side..... but can''t seem to find "redidrivers" on the Screwfix website.... you couldn't provide me with a link...

Cheers
;)

Hi,

Just a quick question mate...... On a bath sink i will need Flexi 15mm x 1/2" push for the sink taps right?

Thanks mate.....

I would get you to come down and do the job but you'd proberly charge more for the travel down here then the job itself... :eek:

Cheers Mate
:)

Those fixings will not take the weight of the cistern or the basin, only hold it against a wall. ALmost better off with just lots of silicone.
You can get much stronger pboard fixings, but they're all only as strong as the board.
To carry weight, cut a letterbox in the pboard, fix plywood across the studs and screw to that. Tiles hide it.
If not tiling, put a noggin to fix to, between the studs, and replaster.

Oh and most soil pipes are nominal 4", but quite a lot are 3 1/2", for which you'll see fittings in the cats.

Thanks Chris,

Sorry but guess I didn't make myself clear once again..... The basin has a pedastal.... that will take the weight right?

Also the cisten is fitted to the toilet so all I need is something to hold it agaisnt the wall...

Cheers for all the help guys.... :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back