HELP! Fitting Wood flooring at Entrance‽

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting engineered flooring and at the doorway I have a problem, the wood + underlay is a few mm too tall to fit under the existing entrance threshold lip. See the attached file.

What do I do?

Attachments

• FFFE6BA1-E4BB-4FD5-89E5-97FF5468C769.jpeg
    FFFE6BA1-E4BB-4FD5-89E5-97FF5468C769.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 106
Sponsored Links
Cut some of your new flooring to fit the gap your talking about but plane it thinner to fit.

I'm assuming a bit because the image isn't too clear.

We could do with a picture from the other side as well, and with the door open. What's the gap between the floor and the door, and can you trim the bottom of the door off.

Sponsored Links
How about creating a well for a mat? You can get coconut matting cut to size or buy a suitable mat and make the well to fit using either wood or a metal trim?

I have a hardwood floor by the front door and it needs a mat anyway

I am fitting engineered flooring and at the doorway I have a problem, the wood + underlay is a few mm too tall to fit under the existing entrance threshold lip. See the attached file.

What do I do?

Is that an aly threshold?

If the door doesnt clear, find a thicker aly threshold and cut the door down assuming its timber not composite.

If the door does clear, then you need an oak trim with a chamfer to take up the discrepancy and somewhere for the floor to butt up to.

Mat well is a brilliant option and one I might have in mine. I've put off the laminate fitting to the hallway to avoid having to trim the main entrance door, so I might explore the matwell option myself.

But is that engineered, or solid wood, or what In either case, cutting a mat well will weaken the wood that's left, and if it's engineered wood, the backing board is a sod to work with. I'd trim the door, and leave the floor well alone.

no matt well normally same thinkness as floor so cut around or starts 600 or so away from door
that door looks composite but can still be cut and raise threshold

If the entrance floor area is let's say 3 ft wide by 6 ft long, and the entrance leads into a room with the same proposed wood floor, or carpet, you could consider plan B which is cover the entire entrance floor area with the sort of shoe cleaning covering the shops have. It'
Sort of ribbed like cord carpet.

Grit brought in on footwear and animals paws play havoc with wooden flooring.

Sanding and really varnishing wooden flooring is arduous

A neighbor had a loverly shiny floor put down in the room leading in from the street.

He has not put any thought into the "what to wipe ones feet on" side of things

Tim

Sponsored Links
Back