Help! Floors are not level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon all,

First time on the forum. I would like to ask a question but first of all, I wish I had known about all these forums on so many vast subjects. Would have saved a lot of hand wringing and head scratching. Had a computer for ten years now and it just did not enter my head. Crazy!

I have moved to France and have taken out a stud wall between kitchen and lounge. The floor tiling was done after the wall was built. The builder unfortunately must have had a dicky spirit level because at one side the two floors are level but at the other it is nearly 2 cms out. It is impossible to take up all the tiles already there - might as well build a new house. Width of room is 13 feet.

My question is how do I fill the 3 inch gap to somehow match it up with the creamish coloured tiles. I was thinking of a piece of stained wood but very finnicky. I can only think of a dryish mortar mix but how do I get to the (roughly) cream colour. What sort of sand? Can it be done? Hopefully I can live with a slight slope at one side.

Many thanks for any suggestions. Oh and please don't tell me to build a new house!

Sponsored Links
First off, welcome to the forums!
Secondly, there's a tiling forum you know. ;)

Ok let's just get the situation clear, if I'm reading you right, you've one room that's tiled and another untiled room that has a 2" fall. The 2" difference is where the tiled room meets the untiled room? So where your tiles finish you have a 2" step?

Hi gcol,

Sorry. As I said still getting used to all these forums on my computer. Will do a more thorough search next time in the correct location. But I suppose it could still be construed as floors

Both rooms are tiled the same. One side of one room is lower by two cms not inches.

Hope this helps you help me!

F

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back