Help for a novice - Leaky join for the washing machine hose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I recently discovered that there has been a small drip/leak from a washing maching water hose join that connects to the water pipe. It's been leaking for a year unoticed....until i pulled away the kitchen border.

I've never done any form of plumbing DIY so I have no idea how to best deal with the problem, other than calling in a plumber.

Is this something I can do easily myself? Do i need to replace parts or just clean and tighten them? If anyone could tell me in laymen terms how I could solve this problem it would be much appreciated.

I've attached pictures to help.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-16 at 23.28.27.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-16 at 23.28.27.png
    1 MB · Views: 205
  • Screen Shot 2016-03-16 at 23.28.17.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-16 at 23.28.17.png
    568.3 KB · Views: 217
  • Screen Shot 2016-03-16 at 23.28.02.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-16 at 23.28.02.png
    893.7 KB · Views: 190
Sponsored Links
I would change the valve,turn off the mains stopcock,unscrew the hose,check there's a rubber washer in there if not buy one, undo the compression (silver) nut,fit the new valve and check joints

Not clear exactly where it's leaking, but if it's from the white nut, then turn small blue lever so it's horizontal, unscrew the white plastic nut, remove the blue hose. Find the other end on the back of the washing machine and unscrew that.
Now buy a new hose of the same or similar length, fit it where the old one was, turn on the water with the small blue lever.
The white nuts are tightened by hand only, do not use tools.

Although replacement washers can be obtained, if the washer has failed, the hose is old and why risk the hose bursting and causing a major flood? (A new hose is less than £5).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back