help - Ho do I remove plaster ceiling coving?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am soon having my bathroom refitted. I want to fully tile the bath wall as I intend to have an over bath shower, I have ceiling coving in this room and do not know how to go about removing this. I don't want to cause damage to the ceiling and the plumber is staring in a week.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
So you want to remove the coving from the ceiling/wall.
How old is the property ie how recently has the coving been put up?
They are normally stuck on using adhesive and also tacked on for extra mechanical strength whilst adhesive is setting.
The adhesive can be quite difficult to remove sets like shyt to a blanket!
So it will be very difficult to remove the coving without causing some damage to wall and ceiling, you can minimise this though.
If the walls and ceilings are plasterboard, I would firstly run a stanley type blade around all the adjoining edges of the coving to the walls and ceiling. Trying to cut in to the plaster/plasterboard, this should hopefully then help prevent tear damage to your wall and ceiling, when removing the coving.
If the walls are plastered then I would use a chisel and hammer and gently break in to the coving from the edges, prising it away as you go, you will also use this method after you have cut in to plasterboard with stanley. Then it would be a case of knocking of any left overs and scrapping and sanding as reqiured, plus any remedial work.
You are bound to cause some damage and there is nothing to say that the area under the coving was ever done to a good standard in the first place, if the person installing walls/ceiling knew it was to be coved, they may have left that area unfinished.

Many thanks for the advice regarding remoal of coving from my bathroom ceiling. It was put up by my ex-husband approx 25 years ago and I fear he made a very good job of it. I know he scored the wall and the ceiling and used the ready mixed coving adhesive. I know he didn't use any nails or tacks. Will just have to cross fingers and hope the ceiling doesn;t come down as well,
Regards and thanks
Veronica

Expect the worst mess when it comes down.

Anything less is just a bonus :D

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the advice regarding remoal of coving from my bathroom ceiling. It was put up by my ex-husband approx 25 years ago and I fear he made a very good job of it. I know he scored the wall and the ceiling and used the ready mixed coving adhesive. I know he didn't use any nails or tacks. Will just have to cross fingers and hope the ceiling doesn;t come down as well,
Regards and thanks
Veronica

JEEZ Veronica...............you remember that from 25 years ago????....I doubt the ceiling will come down but depending how good its been put be prepaed fo some mess/damage.

Hi Bodgeitand legit
Thanks for mail. I do apreciate it. I sure can remember 25 years ago - might even be longer than that. By the way, my bathroom suite is a beautiful Pink one - well it is until Monday- when it's all going.
Had a bit of luck the plumber has said he will remove the coving! What a result - must have taken pity on me! Hope he knows what he's taking on here!!!!
Thanks again for your mail.
Veronica
PS Need some advice regarding tiles for my new bathroom. White suite - white cabinets - just don't know what colour tiles to go for - and then there's the floor - decisions, decisions. Any sugestions?

Hi Bodgeitand legit
Thanks for mail. I do apreciate it. I sure can remember 25 years ago - might even be longer than that. By the way, my bathroom suite is a beautiful Pink one - well it is until Monday- when it's all going.
Had a bit of luck the plumber has said he will remove the coving! What a result - must have taken pity on me! Hope he knows what he's taking on here!!!!
Veronica
PS Need some advice regarding tiles for my new bathroom. White suite - white cabinets - just don't know what colour tiles to go for - and then there's the floor - decisions, decisions. Any sugestions?

Hi veronica..............it all comes down to personal choice of tiles but we have a white suite and tiles the floor and walls in a black marble effect half way up then a border and white tiles and it looks good but as I say its personal choice...

Hi
Thanks for mail,
Well I noticed that Wickes' sale (30% off tiles) ended yesterday 05 June, so I went down and decided not to leave the store until I had picked and Paid! And so at 4pm, when the store was closing, I made the choice - and guess what - I've gone with white with a black and white border and I shall have dark worktops and flooring. Simple really - they say great minds think alike eh!
Veronica
PS Everything ordered ie Bathroom suite and shower, shower screen all arrived today as planned and the Plummber turned up too. What a result! I had my last bath last night in my pink friend of 25years - don't know when I'll get my next. Lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back