How do I remove massively tough coving...?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm removing the old coving (pictured), and replacing with a more pleasing design. Initially, I thought the coving was plaster, but now I'm not so sure.

I'm assuming the best way to remove it is just drilling / hammering / crowbar-ing it off the wall?

I'm aware the ceiling has cracks, and doing this will likely reveal how bad they are!

Thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20210109_183125265.jpg
    PXL_20210109_183125265.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 418
  • PXL_20210110_154321548.jpg
    PXL_20210110_154321548.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 349
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Well sometimes smash through. Grip the coving and pull and the entire length comes down because of products like artex used to stick. Easy and quick job.

Plan B

Smash the middle all the way long and using a cheap scraper and hammer remove the ceiling and wall bit. Really helps to knock the middle out..

Wide wood chisel is also helpful.

Plan C

Multi tool. That's more for removing small sections

Depends what was used to apply and how well it was done .Are you sure it’s plaster?

Not sure. It's not anything like the plaster coving I've removed in the past; it's much much tougher. Basically like concrete and with no 'gap' behind the coving itself (i.e. it's like one solid piece of concrete completely adhered against the wall and ceiling).

I've bolstered some off (see picture)

Attachments

• PXL_20210110_154321548.jpg
    PXL_20210110_154321548.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 365
Last edited:
Strong scraper from the wall side, lever and giggle it along the whole length, then fold it up so it doesn't take the ceiling down.
As said, removing a middle section first makes the job easier.

Strong scraper from the wall side, lever and giggle it along the whole length, then fold it up so it doesn't take the ceiling down.
As said, removing a middle section first makes the job easier.

Thanks, but that method ain't cutting it unfortunately!

Its been applies with coving adhesive with no void so will take some shifting, bolster or old wood chisel work across ceiling towards the wall to minimise damage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back