HELP! I need a wide hinge toilet seat!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:?: :!: :?: :!: :?: :!: :?: :!: :?:

I removed my 30-year-old unpleasant looking loo seat today. The bolts and hinges fell apart in the process...having partially disintegrated.

I tried fitting a new seat but to my SHOCK the boltholes on my toilet are TOO FAR apart. The gap between the hole centres is 7.5 inches (19cm) :eek:

Having accepted that the new seat is useless (and the old one cannot be refitted) I now have NO loo seat! :cry:

....so I am trying to buy/order a new one.... online. Any ideas where? All the ones I have seen so far have standard hinge sizes.

Any help I will be VERY grateful! :D

Sponsored Links
are you shure the new one isnt ajustable as in
loosen the screw on the disc underneath that sits on the toilet and rotate to the side half the difference tighten the screw repeat on the other side
keeping in mind you have normaly a choice off central or the edge to screw the securing bolt in to on the disc

are you shure the new one isnt ajustable as in
loosen the screw on the disc underneath that sits on the toilet and rotate to the side half the difference tighten the screw repeat on the other side

Hi,
the part that fits on the toilet is a plastic strip. It has the two bolt holes on it. No screws to be seen. Have tried disassembling it to see if it miraculously would stretch or slide wider) but no joy.
...Just rang Bemis and they said it won't fit 19cm (only up to 16)

here's my seat new seat info
http://www.bemiseurope.com/includes/languages/en/bemis/docs/specsheets/4100TB-en.pdf

agh no wonder,its american lol.

like mentioned previously, most come with adjustment.take it back and get a refund or exchange for an adjustable one

last resort...........................hover

Sponsored Links
I would have thought that dimension Z is 11cm to 20cm in which case it would fit her 7.5" hole centres.
JonB

I would have thought that dimension Z is 11cm to 20cm in which case it would fit her 7.5" hole centres.
JonB

my guess would be the op hasnt realised that the holes underneath are for the bolt heads to enter a slot and slide them towards the centre off the bar thence they will fit there toilet ;)

this of course is just my guess as to what the set up is time will tell if i am wrong :rolleyes:

JonB

that's what i was puzzled about.
I guess there is an error...

Ina ny case the new seat will have to be written off as it's too late for exchange as bought it ages ago. Now all I need is to find a shop that sells seats with 7.5 inch bolt gaps...

I'm going to be phoning local bathroom supply places tomorrow. I visited a few today and they just want me to buy a new toilet! :rolleyes:

can you diassemble the plastic bit that sits on the toilet take a picture off the underneath and top to let us see what it looks like

can you diassemble the plastic bit that sits on the toilet take a picture off the underneath and top to let us see what it looks like

Hi again
the new toilet (with the plastic part descibed above) will not fit. This has been established by both a plumber and the manutacturers. It's hinge is adjustable but just not enough to fit my 19cm hole.
What I need now is to find out if toilet seats exist which have hinges that fit 20cm as I need to buy one a.s.a.p.

Is your toilet a twyford close coupled wc?

I've come across those type before.

There is a toilet seat from Homebase, it is a standard white seat with offset fixtures but by swapping hinge over, it will be wide enough to fit between holes.

Dan.

Is your toilet a twyford close coupled wc?

i think it's close coupled..as in the water bit and loo are all one piece. It says royal daulton on it. it was fitted 1978.

There is a toilet seat from Homebase, it is a standard white seat with offset fixtures but by swapping hinge over, it will be wide enough to fit between holes.

Thanks. Ideally needed advocado colour or wood (bathroom is advocado) however if they stock something white they may have wooden too.
Will take a look in their store. I have looked at H.B online but they don't give hinge dimensions for their toielts. Any idea what the model may be called?

Dan.

It would not be on website.
When I bought it from my local Homebase, the shelf where the seats sit, it say Take off toilet seat...£19.99. The seat is plastic and white only. It the only seat, with hinge swapped over, will fit your pan.

Sorry, didn't know you want advocado seat. Maybe you could buy fluffy seat cover of your choice to cover the seat.

Dan.

It would not be on website.
When I bought it from my local Homebase, the shelf where the seats sit, it say Take off toilet seat...£19.99. The seat is plastic and white only. It the only seat, with hinge swapped over, will fit your pan.

thanks. This is helpful

Sorry, didn't know you want advocado seat. Maybe you could buy fluffy seat cover of your choice to cover the seat.

anything is better than nothing....and the seat cover is a good idea...thanks again :)

Dan.

my local builders merchant 'jacksons' can get them in as have bought them befor very expensive iirc they were about £60 to £70 each

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back