HELP! I need a wide hinge toilet seat!!

Sponsored Links
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Twyford-Pure-Source-Close-Coupled-Toilet-SEAT-ONLY-_W0QQitemZ140359591910QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=&rvr_id=&cguid=18b2774d1250a0e205350335fdd20102#ht_2189wt_702 worth a try

thanks for this. Thanks everyone else too!
Have managed to get my Bemis avocado seat to fit using several long cable ties. Was about to take it to the local charity shop! The holes in the seat overlap with those on the toilet by around 50 mm...too small a gap for a bolt but big enough for some cable ties! The seat is now firmly in place and manuovres up and down when needed. :p
This should do the trick until I find something better...at least it's the right colour and not plastic (I hate plastic) and not white (I have an avocado suite)...oh....and oh....not a urinal (I'm a girl!) :eek:

thanks again everyone. :)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
lol,i was joking about the urinal.ive seen some girlies using urinals but thats another story.
glad youve got sorted,now dont forget to put the lid down when youve done.
merry xmas

Trhisha,
You surprised me about the toilet seat hole dimensions. I measured ours, and I will go to my mother's house to check hers (an older house)!!
I am not happy about you using cable ties. However, short of, er, dumping the seat/lid, some kind of more permanent installation should be made.
I would like to see a pic of the unit in place, however.
I have two suggestions: 1/ You saw the mounting plate in half, and turn each half the other way round. They ought to fit then. But looking at the pic in the weblink, the hinge appears to be cut away for the lid, so that might not work.
2/. Perhaps you could go to B&Q or a good local DIY store and purchase a length of aluminium strip, as wide as possible. I'm not sure of the widest size available, but 30mm or above, the better, length 9" (or 200mm) approx. I would drill the holes in the ally to fit the old loo, then attach the hinge plate to the ally, and fit the whole thing. The problem is that the sliding bolt plates won't work because of the porcelain between the holes. But that is not too serious - just use countersunk bolts (small ones) facing upwards, and nyloc captive nuts, which while visible should be snugly fitting close to the hinges. The new bolts could be used in the revised mounting plate to fit the unit.
It's a fiddle, but a shame to get rid of the new seat/lid. The US product looks really neat!

Trhisha,
You surprised me about the toilet seat hole dimensions. I measured ours, and I will go to my mother's house to check hers (an older house)!!
My bathroom is 1978 Royal Daulton. It's a block of flats and so far everyone here has just bought a new suite rather than trying to replace seat.

I am not happy about you using cable ties.
I was actually very impressed with my creativity...<g>..the loo hasn't budged yet.. :LOL: ..very secure...and I have several other ties to hand. As long as no one tries jumping on it...it should hold! I also broke some chopsticks up to wedge the holes but need to buy something plastic as it's more hygienic. (yes I can hear you laughing) ;)

I would like to see a pic of the unit in place, however.
Can I post a pic here?

I have two suggestions: 1/ You saw the mounting plate in half, and turn each half the other way round. They ought to fit then. But looking at the pic in the weblink, the hinge appears to be cut away for the lid, so that might not work.

I did wonder too about the possibilty of cutting the mounting plate in half and re securing it in two pieces.....

2/. Perhaps you could go to B&Q or a good local DIY store and purchase a length of aluminium strip, as wide as possible. I'm not sure of the widest size available, but 30mm or above, the better, length 9" (or 200mm) approx. I would drill the holes in the ally to fit the old loo, then attach the hinge plate to the ally, and fit the whole thing. The problem is that the sliding bolt plates won't work because of the porcelain between the holes. But that is not too serious - just use countersunk bolts (small ones) facing upwards, and nyloc captive nuts, which while visible should be snugly fitting close to the hinges. The new bolts could be used in the revised mounting plate to fit the unit.

err...didn't quite understand the above....too tech for me....but it sounds good.....I think I know someone who could put this good advice into practice for me...

It's a fiddle, but a shame to get rid of the new seat/lid. The US product looks really neat!

It is very good...and I agree...a real pity to get rid of it....

thanks so much for your help...am very grateful :D

lol,i was joking about the urinal.ive seen some girlies using urinals but thats another story.

ha ha.....(no comment) :confused:

glad youve got sorted,now dont forget to put the lid down when youve done.

actually there's a thought...will have to put up a notice saying "mind the cable ties" to any gent visitors!

merry xmas
you too!

Hi Trisha,
Just wondering how you got on, as it were, with your patent cable-tie toilet seat gizmo. Is :rolleyes: it holding? Have you had, er, an accident?
Scientific curiosity, of course, only....
- Rick

Hi Rick,
yes it's holding brilliantly! I've even had visitors round and no one has commented on the fact that the seat is held together by tiny plastic threads...
guess people don't look either...mind you the cable ties are very discretely placed... ;)

It's as sturdy as any other loo seat too...no wobby factor!

Make me laugh though cos I am now looking at loo seats wherever I go and estimating the bolt span....I just can't help myself...am curious to see if anywhere actually uses loo seats that size...and so far it's just me! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back