Help & ideas on my garden please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, a was hoping to get some ideas on what I can do to improve the look and practicality of my garden, see below pics.

My first problem is that I have a staffy that don't like other dogs and the house to the left have two Jack russels so we can't have the dogs in the garden at the same time because my dog will either jump over the fence or go under the fence.

2nd problem is that with the dog running about the grass doesn't grow properly so I would like to get wide of the grass all together.

3rd I have a three year old daughter and there's not really anything for her to do in the garden as it's not level, I don't know if you can see from the pick but both sides of the garden rise up towards the fence so the middle path is the lowest point.

4th and final I think is that I would like some decking or slobbing outside the back door where we can have a patio set and BBQ etc to entertain when we have visitors.

Oh P.S. I would like a fence both sides but I'm not sure on where I stand on the legality side of things and also would it just be easier to leave existing fence and use the concrete posts to base the the fences panels against?

I also want to removed the trees

I was thinking of building an aviary at the bottom of the garden for my Amazon Parrot, something like the below pic

How hard would this be to build for a novice ?

Sponsored Links
Remove grass and path, and level then astroturf the lot. That amount of grass will never look good with dogs about.

For the aviary, an easier and cheaper solution could be to buy a normal garden shed kit, but remove the side panelling and replace with chicken wire.

Also put in a new low level fence on the right hand side, and you could have some climbing plants along the top of it. Clematis and Passiflora are nice.

Remove those trees by those sheds to improve light. In fact remove as many as possible to make the area less gloomy. Pressure wash the house wall to smarten it up.

Good luck!

Good comments thanks, I would like to put decking against the house for a seating and BBQ area.... Astroturf would be a good idea but sounds very expensive.... I would like a fence both sides but I would like a tall fence for privacy..... Also I was still wondering if it would be best to dig the trench to bring the new fence down to path level ?

Your garden is very narrow - a tall fence both sides is going to make it feel even narrower. Those trees down the boundary line are going to be a problem putting a fence in. Are you taking them down? I would go for bottom section fence panel, top section trellis then, as ivixor says, plant climbers.

Sponsored Links
As the others have said the garden is a odd shape.

Personally I would remove any trees within 4m of the house but leave the others in place (because I like trees).

I would install some tall (1.8m) fence panels along that first 4 meters of your garden from the house on either side to gain some privacy but then leave the existing fences in place for the rest of the garden as it will leave it a bit more open and be cheaper.

Up against the house I'd build a deck across the full length and make it 3 or 4 meters deep so it's big enough for a table/chairs/BBQ. It will also benefit from being a bit more private as it'll be in the space with the taller fences.

Could those existing shed(s) be converted to an aviary by replacing the door?

I'd be inclined to fence off the end wedge of your garden and use that as your dog area. Assume you don't need a massive space - just somewhere for dogs to sit or do their business rather than exercise. Try some hardy grass seed.

The central part between the deck and the dog area should be for your kid. Consider re turfing or re seeding so there is somewhere for her to play out. Also consider moving the path to either side of the lawn rather than down the centre so there is more playing space without a hard surface slap bang in the middle.

Think about some flags laid out like stepping stones rather than a full on concrete path to get down to the bottom of the garden as this would be cheaper and easier to do.

OK so I think we are going to go for a closeboard fence on both sides, 6ft at the top of the garden where the decking is going just outside the back of the house and the fence will slope down to 5ft towards the end of the garden... The main question is that I want to level the garden, well I want the fence level with the concrete path so this means digging down where the existing fence is on the left, can I just dig down and fit the fence or will I need to put some king of board up to reinforce the neighbors earth after Ive digged down, if this means any sense... I don't think we are removing the existing fence just building one next to it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back