Help Identifying Possible Drainage Pit in Patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have moved into a Grade II listed rural property, and in our patio is a large square pit that for the life of me I cannot identify so I'm hoping someone can help! The hole/pit 90cm square and 30cm deep, it has a concrete bottom with 3 holes in it and the bottom is built in rather than potentially being removable. The wall shown in the picture is our utility room, I cant see anything else nearby that indicates what the hole would be for. There's no smell coming from it and no water visible through the 3 holes, but our house is almost entirely off grid so I wonder if it is related to our septic tank (a good 30ft away) or the old well (about 10ft away) which is no longer used for the house's water supply but would have been at the time of the patio being built.

We had a very difficult purchase and have no chance of contact with the seller who was in the property for 30 years, so any suggestions at all would be much appreciated! We want to cover it with a grate or similar to make it child-safe but want to know what it is beforehand.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Attachments

• hoel.JPG
    hoel.JPG
    164.3 KB · Views: 39
Sponsored Links
I see two holes in the slab, any chance you can lift this cover is so

run water from taps one at a time - then flush toilet - flush drains see if any water appears.

I have worked on Grade 1 & 2 properties some records have been lost or not kept.

People proof a sheet metal drilled and screwed down just in case it's required to examine the hole

I see two holes in the slab, any chance you can lift this cover is so

run water from taps one at a time - then flush toilet - flush drains see if any water appears.

I have worked on Grade 1 & 2 properties some records have been lost or not kept.

People proof a sheet metal drilled and screwed down just in case it's required to examine the hole

No way to lift the slab, it's actually built in so isn't removeable. Good idea about flushing the drains/taps and having a listen to see if that does anything, thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back