Help...keys locked in room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
My husband lives in a rented room in a shared house duirng week and has just called form work to say he has locked his keys in his room.
He hasn't got a key for front door but that shouldn't be a problem as should be someone around to let him in.
However, the landlady is on holiday (she usually lives there) and so he's not sure whether there's going ot be a spare key available to get him in his room.
The door is an original period stripped pine panelled door and the lock is a Yale type.
The windows to the room are accessible from outside but these are original sash windows and he remembers locking them.

Does anyone know....what is the cheapest and simplest thing to do?

1, phone a locksmith
2, break down room door
3, break window pane to get into room
4, get instructions on how to break in to a Yale lock (is it possible? can you use a credit card like on films?lol)

Obviously I'm wary of him breaking anything in case he can't get he workmen to repair straight away as he needs to come home this weekend cos I'm due to give birth anytime!

Please help. Thanks :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I'll tell him to call a locksmith then. I'd be really worried about him damaging anything that can't be repaired like you say.
I'd just thought that a locksmith would probably cost over £100 and maybe other ways would be cheaper.
Thanks for your reply :)

if the door isnt double locked and the doorstop is plant on

then its often a case of opening out door stop from the frame a few mm at the lock area then slipping the latch

then when your in and have your keys affix a metal plate to stop anyone else doing the same ;)

Sponsored Links
Any half decent locksmith would opened this without any damage to the door or frame for less than £50. Anyone charging £100+ is ripping you off.

let us know which route you took.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back