Help! kitchen appliances causing RCD to trip

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would be grateful for any advice on the following problem...

I had the cooker on, then put the kettle on and the RCD tripped. It has just started happening, intermittently. It causes the switch to trip that is marked CPR80 and not the individual switch for the cooker which is marked CPB32.
Picture of RCD attached - the blue switch on the far right is the tripper!

Have booked in the electrician but does anyone have any idea why this might be happening?

Attachments

• IMG_2371.JPG
    IMG_2371.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 361
Sponsored Links
Is the kettle plugged into the cooker socket too? Reset the RCD and switch on just the kettle, then try just the cooker and then do both at the same time and see when it trips.
It could be a faulty heating element in your oven so when testing with just the oven on, switch it to the same setting it was on and leave it for a while. It might just be that both the oven and kettle each leak a certain amount of current which when combined is enough to trip the RCD.

Hi, switch off the cooker at the cooker switch and then plug the kettle in to a random socket and see if the RCD trips.

You may have a fault on the cooker or the kettle may be the problem is the elimination game !

DS

Thank you - the kettle is plugged in to a socket away from the cooker. The kettle alone doesn't trip it. Any ideas why the 'cooker' circuit switch doesn't trip on the consumer unit but the blue one on it does - when it trips everything goes off downstairs rather than just in the kitchen.

Sponsored Links
The kitchen sockets and indeed, downstairs sockets are on a different RCD to the cooker. SO, if the kettle is definitely not plugged in to the cooker isolator socket (if there even is one), the kettle appears to be a red herring - as the RCD that is tripping covers upstairs sockets, downstairs lighting and the cooker.

Seems to point towards a fault in your cooker. As mentioned, best way to check is to test it out by turning off the cooker isolator and leaving it off for a bit. If it's still tripping, something else is your concern.

I had similar with my cooker and microwave, but I have a combined cooker isolation switch and socket, so both were on the same circuit. It would only trip occasionally. My cooker wiring internally is done by spade terminals, and only some had insulating caps over the spades. There didn't seem to be any pattern to the caps, some wires had them, some didn't, even at the main connection point just inside the back cover. I insulated all wires which were anywhere near any other wire, or near anything really, and it hasn't tripped since summer 2015. Here's the original thread (which I've just updated) if you want a read...

//www.diynot.com/diy/threads/cooker-circuit-occasionally-knocking-out-mcb.438910/page-2

Thank you all so much for your advice - much appreciated. I will post how I get on (and whether the cooker wires need insulating) once my electrician has had a look on Saturday...

Just an update - the problem was indeed the cooker.
In the end I replaced the cooker and no further tripping problems!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back