Help - Kitchen Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a bit of a crisis as I'm having a new kitchen installed in a few weeks but the electrician has let me down and canceled.

I'm planning to get an electrician to do the final connection but until I can find one I figure I can get on and channel out the walls etc myself. There are a few things I'm not sure about though.

- is it acceptable to have horizontal runs between sockets?

- For the oven and under cabinet lights the switches and outlets are not in line , do I have to take the cable down under the floor and across or can I go down and across under the plaster?

- If you can go down and across under the plaster how do you handle the corners?

-Should I be using PVC or metal channeling?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Capping, you are probably refering to.

You can use galvanised steel or plastic, I, and most other prefer to use galv steel as it is easier to pick up with a metal detector :D

Sponsored Links
This work is notifiable and therefore you cannot just DIY and get an electrician to do the final connection, not in terms of complying with the law.

IF you want to comply, then to DIY then you must notify your council in advance, then they should inspect your work during progress and test it. They won't actually do any of it though - you'll have to connect the final circuits into the CU yourself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back