Horizontal wiring in a kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can a qualified electrician please answer this question for me?

I am preparing to install a new kitchen. I have had two electricians round to provide quotes for additional wiring. The cooker control unit (isolating switch) will remain in its original position; however the electric oven will be sited 1.5 meters to the right. Ideally, I would like the cooker cable to go straight down from the switch, then bend right and then go horizontally to a cooker connection unit behind the oven.
One guy tells me you cannot have horizontal wiring at all, but the other said you can and this would be okay. Who is right?

Sponsored Links
You can have a vertical run below the switch and a horizontal run to the outlet. Therefore you can have your right-angle-shaped run as long as you remain in line with the accessories.

As long as the cable is in line with an accessory, it is in a safe zone.

Show the other electrician this:

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=95036

Also, if the cables are surface-mounted, thay do not have to be run in safe zones.

EDIT: sorry, I was away looking for the link while sparky was posting.

Sponsored Links
Nice one guys!

As you can see, I have only just registered. Yet to get to grips with system (and strange comments at the end).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back