Help laminate flooring in the kithchen with concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I want to have laminate flooring in my kitchen which has a concrete subfloor but i am a bit confused about what to buy.

Do i need to get a particular type of laminate as i've seen moisture resistant ones but also ones with have a moisture resistant core and are suitable for the kitchen?

Also, what type of underlay do i need to put on a concrete floor which is not fully level (flat but has old tile adhesive left, about 0.5mm -1mm dips here and there) - a softboard style or a roll with an added dpm?

I really want to do this as cheap as possible as it is not a permanent solution.

Any help would be great thanks

Sponsored Links
u ideally need to establish if the concrete floor is damp. tape a piece of plastic on top of it and leave for 24hrs. if there is moisture then u ideally need to put a dpm sheet down to protect the laminate.

for the underlay use the 4mm thk "wood" board type. this is strictly for floor boards and the foam for concrete - but given the dips i would go for the thicker (there's not much in the price).

in terms of the laminate any type will do. the important thing if u use the std stuff (ie not the moisture resistant) is to put a thin bead of PVA wood glue (screwfix 22952) on each mating edge of the plank just before u lay it.

the top of all laminate won't let water pass. what the glue does is stop it getting underneath and damaging the underside of the laminate which is soft.

the only downside is u can't take-up the laminate without damaging it (but I’ve never found it to be an issue)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back